B&M to buy Porter-Cable 8529 router?

I have decided to buy the PC 8529, but I want to buy it at a brick and mortar retail store. I've learned the hard way that it pays to buy local and enjoy the 30 day return option.

I read that HD clearanced these back in September. Has anyone seen this router in the store recently?

Thanks.

Reply to
jango's head

I got one back in Sept - I've been in several HD's in various states since then, and haven't seen any. I think PC has discontinued this model, and has replaced it with a new line - the numbers run like "690", "890". I didn't keep close track of the differences because I'd bought the 8529. But, this is a great router - lots of power and versatility.

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

I just saw one at Lowe's last week. I bought one at HD during that clearance that has since taken a crap. Looks like the speed control died a slow death. I've been dragging my feet getting it in to be repaired and I need to take care of it ASAP. Other than that it was a great router when it worked.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

In my area, Woodcraft has it, as well as a superb mom and pop tool store (Berland's). Also, there is a Delta/PC service center that sells both new and refurbished ones.

I bought one for $100 when HD cleared them out. It is fantastic for $100 but I wouldn't pay more than that. I like my Dewalt 621 and my Hitachi M12V's much better.

Regarding returns from mail order places, some (such as Amazon/Toolcrib and Harbor Freight) have very good return policies. Just make sure you do your research before you buy. The cheapest price isn't necessarily the best deal.

Reply to
AL

Reply to
Jon DePlumme

Don't know where this thread started and can't remember if I replied to it previously (getting "older" now, and the memory aint what was :) ). I don't know about the DW 621, but I got the 8526 on the clearance at HD ($90 - it was the display model, no case or other stuff). All I can say is that I really like it. Lots of power, great feel even though it's a heavy beast. I also bought the edge guide, and along with a template guide set, it is really a versitle tool.

The local Lowes here had three or for that were "on sale" for $229 - I think that was higher than HD before their clearance sale. I'd try your local Lowes, but if not there, you may have a hard time finding them because I think they discontinued the line.

Good luck !!

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

I just bought my second one, first one still works great. Sold my 691 D handle. These are great routers. I like the soft start and the handle/switch/plunge-lock position better than others I've tried. I use it mostly with jigs like Leigh dovetail and a homemade jigs for mortice and tennons, no trimming or edging. Seems easy to tweak the depth with the knob once you get it close. I have a shaper with a router spindle so I don't do the router table thing. I don't think its perfect but you can pick them up on ebay for 150 most of the time. Jack

Reply to
jack