Harbor Freight Dust Collector?

seems I recall someone or several touting a DC from Harbor Freight.....I see item # 45378-5VGA at

anyone have this DC and if so is it a worthwhile buy? TIA bOb

Reply to
bOb

| seems I recall someone or several touting a DC from Harbor | Freight.....I see item # 45378-5VGA at |

|| Does anyone have this DC and if so is it a worthwhile buy?

I have one attached to a CNC router through a pair of 55-gallon drum cyclones and it's done a fairly good job for me for about two years.

Follow the link below for photos of my DC setup.

Morris Dovey

Most people are thrilled with them.

A couple weeks ago someone here said theirs draws 9a. So, is a one hp DC of questionable durability and a useless bag worth $170? Maybe, if that is what you are looking for.

Reply to
Toller

Apparently you have never seen or used one! For a home shop they are great! As far as the cheap bags spewing dust all over, I have yet to see that problem either! I have one, and would not hesitate to buy another one! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I have one, and would buy it again if I needed one. If you pay attention, all the people saying to run away from them have never owned one! I have not seen one person that owned one complain about it! Well worth the money. If the bags scare you, replacement bags can be bought cheap enough to still make it a good deal! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

No, I haven't; but I have a number of HF tools. Great bargains as long as you don't expect them to perform like real ones.

I have a Jet DC650. It sucks the dust up, into the bag, and then all over the place through the bag. Unless HF's 30micron bag is better than Jet's...

Like I said, if that is what you are looking for, it is a good buy. I am glad it works for you. Just out of curiosity, have you measure the current?

Reply to
Toller

They're a lot of bang for the buck and work well for most folks... DON'T pay more than $160 for it.... IMO, it's only a good deal when it's on sale..

If you're new to DC like I was, their started kit for $30 or so is a good beginning... a hose or 2, some basic connectors, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Nope, never have measured the motor's current draw. I do know I need to run it on a separate circuit or the breaker will trip with most any other tool plugged into the same circuit. I never felt the need to know as I am well satisfied with it. It sucks great! I connect it to my TS, planer. and jointer, and it pulls all the dust and chips off all the tools very well. The TS could use an overarm guard to get it all. As far as the bag is seems to me that it is pretty good, I don't have fine dust all over from it.

I think the dust collector is the only powered tool I would by from HF. Anything else I looked at was pretty scary! I have a HF store close buy so I check it out from time to time. I have bought a couple of cheap hand tools from them, but not much. Some people have bought HF's jointer, but I looked one over before I bought my Jet and did not like the fence. I looked at a

12" disk sander but the table mounts were too cheesy! Anything else with a tail looked and felt too light duty. When I bought my dust collector I looked at Jet and Delta as there is a great tool dealer close by that stocked both. I could not see the difference in quality to cover the $100 extra price. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

It runs my entire, albeit small, shop - radial arm saw, 10" table saw, jointer, floor sweep. Of course, I only run one at a time and I have little to complain about. Since I keep my DC in a different room - piped throught the wall. I followed anothers suggestion about pre-seasoning the meager 30mic bag by spraying the interior with generic PAM. Many options available to replace the bags and still make it a good deal.

Reply to
C & M