Harbor Freight Air Compressor

Picked one of these up today for the older son. Looks good in the picture, and even better in person. Store price was $529 price, but they met the internet price of $399. He needed something with at least

8 CFM @ 90 PSI. This turned out to be his most cost-effective option, anything else would have cost considerably more. He now graciously says he will return my compressor, that he borrowed several years ago (and kept).

JOAT If it ain't broke - fix it 'til it is.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tell him to keep your old one and you keep the new one, after he pays of course! hahaha.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I also have one of their compressors. It seeped oil around the sight glass until I replaced the glass. A minor problem. Last year the starting condenser went out. It was a strange shaped one and they had to get another from China. I cranked it up by spinning the fan for 3 months until the part came in. A major problem. But then my Delta lathe motor died. It also took them 3 months to get another from China. I miss the old time service where the company kept spare parts.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Unfortunately they do keep spare parts. Problem is the company and parts are in China.

Reply to
Chris

Sat, Sep 17, 2005, 6:33am snipped-for-privacy@netcommander.com (Gerald=A0Ross) who doth sayeth: I also have one of their compressors. It seeped oil around the sight glass until I replaced the glass. A minor problem. Last year the starting condenser went out. It was a strange shaped one and they had to get another from China.

You sure it's the same? This one has a Briggs & Stratton engine, so I doubt we'll need to send to China for replacement engine parts.

JOAT If it ain't broke - fix it 'til it is.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Minor update. Stopped over today with an extra can of compressor oil (Shell, 30 wt, non-detergent motor oil, $1.58 a quart, from Advance Auto - same as "compressor oil", but considerably less costly). The son was sandblasting. The compressor runs like a charm. The only, minor, problem with it, the kid stripped the threads on the bolts holding the handles in place. So, they vibrate when it's running. Other than that, no prob.

He says he's seen contractors running these, with an extra air tank plumbed in, keeping 3 framing nailers going at the same time.