Harbor Freight mini portable dust collector

Anyone ever try this? The CFM rating is too high to believe for something so small...

almost looks exactly like this penn state one:
wanted this Penn State DC3-1M since it has a noise spec, but it's out of stock:
intended use for now is to create negative pressure in a room to get rid of construction dust, but it should be useful for future woodworking projects..

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

Ken -

I also think that this one has a motor that spins at 3450 or better, so that means it is going to be one loud unit.... Do check this out on other DC's too. Lower motor speed is MUCH easier on the ears.

Reply to
John Moorhead

You new around here? How about this one?

have one, many here do, and it is a steal at the sale price. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

"Greg O" wrote in news:116oka82ovmmd10 @corp.supernews.com:

I don't remember reading a thread on their cheap dust collectors :-) That one is bloody heavy at 145 lbs.

Any comments on the AC1000 - 1000 CFM Air Cleaner at Penn State?

's a long story, but also I'm trying to create negative pressure in a room to keep dust from entering a neighbor's apartment through some hole we can't find, so I was thinking of sticking a high CFM dust collector in a window. Yeah, city life is lame :-P

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

I think you better re-engineer you idea! Are you doing woodworking in an apartment? If so dust collection at the source is your answer. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I've been dissatisfied with my 1.5hp 16a DC; so maybe I will try this 2hp

14a unit. Not only is it more powerful, but it uses less power!
Reply to
toller

It has to be better, it is 2 HP!! ;-)

Truthfully I do have the HF 2(?) HP dust collector, and am quite satisfied with it. I am sure they are stretching the HP claim a bit though. It is plenty for most wood dorkers with only 2-3 machines. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

"Greg O" wrote in news:116opd7pe66ttf1 @corp.supernews.com:

Woodworking and renovations. The renovations involved yanking off disgusting horsehair plaster (imagine a dust bomb...a huge dust bomb)-: Need something big enough to pump the stuff outside and also filter it before it gets outside so I don't turn the neighborhood into a dust bomb...

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

I've worked in a P3 suite and that was setup for negative pressure. Didn't want the nasty things floating out...

I think you want what's essentially a blower - since you'll need to vent the exhaust outside. If that's your approach - you're just buying the unit for it's blower, then it's worth a shot.

But would you mount the whole unit outside and drag the 4" piping inside? Have you thought about a slew of box window fans directed outward?

Another approach might be to circulate the snot out'a the air in the room - and get it into a cleaner before it could leak out.

Reply to
patrick conroy

"patrick conroy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@armada.sprintco.bbn.net:

That's what I'm thinking now as well. Or stick an air cleaner in a window where an A/C goes. It should provide enough ventilation unless the filters clog too quickly and we can use it for cleanup later as well as we sweep up the thick layer of dust everywhere :-P

I'm assuming the building inspectors won't look too kindly on my blowing renovation dust all over the neighborhood, so the exhaust would have to be filtered in some way. :-)

thanks,

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:24:36 +0000, the inscrutable Ken Yee spake:

I'd be willing to bet they'd fill up much too quickly.

True.

I'd try a pair or more of high-capacity dust collectors, perhaps with water-filled garbage can primary cyclone filters. Put them outside the building, run the hoses inside, turn 'em on, and let them suck the dust out as they pull fresh air in the open doors.

------------------------------------------------------------------- Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services There is no try. --Yoda *

Larry Jaques

Don't fool yourself. If the power going in is lower, the power coming out is lower. The only way a lower HP unit could draw more AC power would be if it's efficiency was a lot lower. That difference in power woould have to show up as heat -- a LOT of heat. It's much more likely that HF is inflating their HP rating.

Regards, Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:20:11 -0500, the inscrutable Ed Bailen spake:

Methinks Toller was pulling your leg, Ed. Google "define:facetious" Either that or one use Manchurian wild ponies and the other a smaller protoequus.

According to HF customer service (right) reps, they take the manufacturer's figures for all electricals. When I disputed one, they asked ME to provide proof that it was not as stated so they could give it to the manufacturer. That ain't gonna happen, so in the meantime, just call 'em "Searz Horsies."

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques