Handscrews: Increasingly handy. + a good deal

I got my daily Rockler email today, which included a pretty good deal on

10" handscrews ($6.85 each, free shipping over $25)

It seems that every month or two they choose one size to put on sale at a pretty steep discount. I got two of the 8" for $5 each about a month ago, and two of the 12" maybe a year and a half ago for about $9 each.

I've been finding myself reaching for handscrews more and more often; sometimes for their obvious virtues (long reach, non-marring jaws), but more often for the convenience. I use them like vises that I can put anywhere I like, sometimes holding them in place with Quick-Grips, sometimes just letting them prop up a piece vertically, resting on their own square edges. I'm not a fan of bending down, so I'm in favor anything I can do to secure the work in the most convenient orientation.

None of this is likely news to the more experienced folks here, but here are some of the ways I've found myself using them:

I don't think I'll be buying the 10" as I already have pairs in 14", 12" and 8", but it is tempting.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Two of a size are seldom enough.

You can never have too many clamps.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Rockler's latest flier also has Irwin SL300 QuickClamps two for the price of one.

6" 2/$19.99 12" 2/$27.99 18" 2/$29.99 24" 2/$31.99

I'm going to try to get up to the "local" store soon but SWMBO doesn't like driving in Atlanta, particularly the North side.

Reply to
krw

Gotta start somewhere. This is a regular thing for Rockler.

+1
Reply to
krw

But there are sometimes other considerations: competing claims for space and money among them.

Strangely, these days I rarely find myself wanting for a clamp, EXCEPT the most expensive parallel variety. I've only got a couple of those, and they're pretty long. I'd love to have a couple of 24" ones, but I try to restrict my purchases to things I have an immediate need for, and things that are on ridiculous sale. At $4.95 for 8" handscrews they were practically taunting me. :)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Good price, but I don't like the metal screws. I make my own by threading hardwood dowels. That way I can use the full reach without worrying about scratching the work.

Besides, it's fun to make them just like the old ones :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

How's the clamping force on those?

While I think I can imagine that being fun, you are evidently unacquainted with my working pace. The first picture in the Flickr photo set for my latest project was taken on May 11th 2014. The last was taken on December 26th.

Now I should note that this has been a rough year in several ways, but even in better times, if I had to first make the tools before using them, I'd never live long enough to complete a project.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Higher than my wrist muscle force :-).

Why would you need enormous force? Are you using them to build a veneer press?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Just curious. Something I had wondered about when I saw the wood-threaded ones.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

ection is active.

sometimes a look at my old, worn handscrews hanging on pegboard and think o f them as antique memories from my high school wood class more than 50 year s ago. There they hang among a collection of Irwins, Besseys, pipe clams, s traps and other more modern clamping devices.

Then an Ahhh-Ha! moment comes as I'm trying to figure out an oddball clampi ng problem. Out come the handscrews which get used in a manner that my old shop instructor never thought of teaching. They often get combined with t he newer clamps but they are usually the catalyst that 'pulls the project t ogether'.

Reply to
RonB

Irwin clamps are inferior and not worth much, I bought some and regret that. They are not professional grade. I use mine rarely and for limited tasks. Like creating a place to hang my goggles or mask in a pinch. But not for real work.

Reply to
Electric Comet

I don't have any of these but I need to get some. As someone else said it's not possible to have too many clamps.

Reply to
Electric Comet

I guess this building wasn't "real work" then.

I used the SL300s in almost every step of the process, including holding

16' treated 2x10s to the posts while I leveled and attached each end.

I do use there little brothers, the 546 6" minis for hanging hoses and goggles, etc. I think you might have the two confused.

Reply to
-MIKE-

As I have mentioned before, I have quite a lot of the Minis and wouldn't be without them. Working alone, there's always something that needs to be held in place and it's hard to beat that one-hand convenience. They do not squeeze as hard as other clamps, and probably should not be used where greater force is required.

Anyone who has no use for their Minis can request my shipping address. I'll handle the disposal at no charge.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I disagree 100%. The SL300s, in particular, are *very* good. They're great for initial setup. Very Quick. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I guess I have simple needs. I have quite a few Irwins and they get a fair amount of use. First for temporarily holding things together when fitting and also for gluing. Granted panel gluing requires better clamping but fa ce gluing fairly large parts requires quite a few clamps and they work fine .

Reply to
RonB

I was hesitant to argue too strongly for how useful I find the Quick-Grip minis. My experience is limited and I'd hate to give poor advice. But I have wondered how much "clamping force" is really necessary, even for simple glue-ups.

I should begin by saying that my general habit throughout most of my life has been to over-tighten things. Valves, soda bottle tops, clamps etc. But I believe I read here that extreme force may actually be bad for a glue joint. I'm still not sure I know the optimum amount of force, but when I need a lot of small clamps, I don't hesitate to use the minis, and I don't think I've had any problems as a result.

Here's an example:

[For those wondering why I didn't simply clamp across the whole unit, I wanted to get the first side clamped before gluing up the second.]

I'm wondering if anyone thinks this clamping method is likely to have produced insufficient force, or a poor bond. (there are biscuits in the joint) Incidentally, as I believe I mentioned in the original post, large handscrews allowed me to hold the assembly upright while I glued up the second side:

And I agree, the minis can't be beat for convenience when holding setups together for nearly every task I do.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

The "oddball" uses don't surprise me so much; that's what I thought about handscrews before I had them hanging on such a convenient hook. :) It's more about how many run-of-the-mill situations can be improved with them. I think the "secret" is the square edges (and even ends) that sit flat on the work surface in almost any orientation.

Reply to
Greg Guarino