half-blind handcut dovetails

Just how lame would it be for me to do the half-blind on my wife's repro TJ writing desk by doing through dovetails and laminating a face over that? I am fairly certain that the throughs will be enough challenge without trying to do the halfblinds.

Regards,

Sconnie

Reply to
SconnieRoadie

Wow! That's the kind of question that is going to get you lots of strongly stated opinions. Just remember, that even when presented as absolute truths, all you are hearing is OPINION.

Now, for my opinion: If you are going to present it as a faithful reproduction, you need to do it as such. If you are making a writing desk based on the design of TJ, then even half-lap nailed joinery is okay, if it meets your standards. It's really up to you. If it were me and I was concerned about the half-blind DT's, I would resaw a thick board for each front, do the through DT, and laminate the resawed part.

BTW, I made some satisfactory half-blind DT's without a lot of practice dovetailing, and they are very adequate--not showcase, but nothing to be ashamed of. So you might just try some in scrap before giving up on the idea.

Reply to
alexy