Grizzly G1022Z Table Saw Switch Question

I bought a Grizzly G1022Z table saw almost two years ago. I have been running it on 120v, on GFCI outlets with no issues. My new shop has several 220v outlets so I decided to reconfigure the saw for 220v.

After rewiring the leads from the motor, as per Grizzly's wiring diagram. I decided to test the new configuration for ground.

There was no continuity between the ground prong on the saws plug and the frame of the saw.

When I check the ground lead from the plug into the saws switch, there was continuity. But the two ground conductors in the switch were not connected to each other or to a common ground in any form or fashion. Grizzly had connected the two ground leads, one from the plug and one from the motor to the screws that hold the switches cover plate in place. Both of these connections are totally isolated from the frame or from each other.

When running a 120v system on a GFCI, the system will run without a ground and the GFCI should provide a considerable amount of protection from electrical faults. Still, I can see no reason to not have a functional ground.

When running a 220v system that is not on a GFCI, you really need a good ground.

Has anyone else had this issue with Grizzly tools? I guess that I'm going to have to test every Grizzly tool in the shop to see if it is wired correctly.

Reply to
Ajax

Steven Bliss

I sent them an email. This does not appear to be a problem that was caused by someone on the assembly line making a mistake. I'll bet that there are thousands of saws, possibly other Grizzly tools, that have the same defect.

I tested my other Grizzly tools and they all were properly grounded. I will not take a lot of work to fix my saw, but the next person may not be so lucky as to find the problem before it kills him or her.

Reply to
Ajax