Good Straight Edge

Would a pipe be good for this? That way you could roll it along the workpiece and see low/high spots as it went along...

Though I don't know if a pipe would be straight enough... I was just throwing it out as another possible idea.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

billcha

Reply to
billcha

No problem at all. Glad to be of some help. I have the 4 foot and 8 foot guides. The 8-foot guide has been used more lately, as it is an effective edge jointer. When I cut with it it tends to produce a decent glue-line (even at that length) although cutting wood that long sometimes will release internal stresses which cause subsequent crooking of the cut pieces.

Reply to
Andrew Williams

I have a cutting guide similar to the one you have described, but it is about 20 years old. One day, I held the two sections edgeto-edge. What a disappointment; there was a lot of light shining through.

I hope your edge guides are better. I don't know of anything in the extrusion process that would necessarliy produce a straight or flat product. I suspect that there may be some post processing to yield a saw guide that is straight and flat. The bar stock in the home centers has not had any post processing.

Regards, Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen

Ken, Glad you found something that works. I live near both a J & L Industrial and a Production Tool store. I would probably have simply bought a suitable piece of ground flat stock perhaps .250 thick by 1.5" wide and been done with it.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday