Glueing Wood to Formica

construction adhesive?

silicon?

Reply to
js

That's interesting. Formica is attached to wood with contact cement.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Lowell Holmes responds:

Laminates are coated on their backs to attach to substrates. Coating their fronts with contact cement isn't useful.

The OP might try using epoxy. I don't think polyurethane glue will do much better than contact cement, but either one will get an improved hold if he marks the area of the molding and uses a small and very fine file to rough up the laminate's surface.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

i'd probably roughen up the surface and use ge silicone 2. i use it to hang glass sheets on metal standoffs or french cleats, and then hang them on the wall. haven't had any fall off, and they weigh 8-10 lbs apiece. let dry for at least 24 hours without touching it.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I need to fasten a small moulding (1/4 inch thick) between the counter top and the back splash. One way is small brads. However, I keep thinking that there is some glue that will do the job. I tried contact cement and it will not stick to the formica. What about something like gorilla glue? Any other suggestions?

Len

Reply to
Leonard Lopez

The "This to That" (glue advice) recommends "Household Goop" as providing the strongest bond between wood and plastic. See:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Try "Armaflex 520". Its used to glue Industrial insulation to anything and boy is it strong.

Reply to
Texan

Roo Glue or any melamine glue. The top layer of formica is a melamine skin.

Is the quarter round really necessary? In general I find a molding here to be a bad idea. Best to make a tight joint and color caulk.

mike

Reply to
Mike

Personally, I would not use a molding, especially wood, in this application.

I'd use, 3M, 5200 marine caulk, that these days, even Home Depot sells for about $10 a tube.

I've even used it to caulk the joint between ceramic wall tile and a cast iron bath tub with a glazed surface.

Two caveats:

1) Takes some time to fully cure out, sometimes up to a week. 2) Don't ever expect to take the joint apart unless you have at least a 1500W heat gun and the patience of JOB.

SFWIW, use 3M, "blue tape" to mask the joint before applying 5200.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett