glue vs pin nail strips of wood to veneer plywood?

I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

Reply to
blueman

If you seal the wood with a varnish to control moisture content movement should be minimal. The adhesive in either case is more likely to hold than

23 gauge pins
Reply to
Leon

Construction adhesive?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Wouldn't that stuff look great where globs of it ooze out of the edges of the oak strips. Perhaps you should do what Norm does, use carpenter's glue and hold it in place with your pin nailer until the glue dries.

Reply to
EXT

"blueman" wrote

Keep in mind that QSWO will move less in width than most woods (an approximate maximum 1/64" expansion/contraction in width for your 1 1/2" stock, depending upon the part of the country you live in. That's not much, and probably even less after it's finished

If I understand your application correctly, my instinct, based on your description, would be to apply a good wood glue to the middle third of the

1.5"x 3/8" and use your pin nailer to fasten them in place until the glue dries.

That should at least pay some homage to the wood movement gods ...

Strictly my tuppence/FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman

I would use regular woodworkers yellow glue like titebond...

Randy

randyswoodshoop

Gorilla glue down the center and use weights such as taped up bricks for clamps. Eliminating fasteners that leave holes to be filled is well worth the effort.

Reply to
RF

Construction adhesive? Ugly & messy if it squeezes out. Glue would do better. With either you would have to hold the wood in place until the adhesive sets; that could be done with your brads or simply crosswise strips of masking tape.

Wood movement? NP on ply.

Brads or adhesive? Your choice. Brads make holes, holes have to be filled but will always show.

Reply to
dadiOH

FWIW, a few drops of cyanoacrylate ("Krazy Glue" etc) can hold the pieces in alignment until the regular glue sets. You only have to hold the cyanoacrylate for 30 seconds or so.

Reply to
J. Clarke

He said nothing about "brads", he mentioned 23 gauge pins. These are very similar to straight pins and seldom have to be filled especially in Oak.

Reply to
Leon