Garage Storage Cabinets ??

If it gets wet, yes. From high humidity, no.

Reply to
dadiOH

  1. If you want them to look nice, do NOT use fir/pine plywood. The grain will telegraph through anything. Birch ply would not telegraph. In any case, use 3/4.
  2. If you want your doors to stay flat, do NOT make plywood slab doors; do not make frame and panel doors with plywood panels - not even 1/4" ply, 1/4" masonite (especially tempered) is OK. _____________

If it were me, I would...

  1. Make the boxes of 3/4 melmine board. Bottoms with a 3/8 x 3/8 tongue at the top (of the edge) glued into a dado on the sides. Tops the same with the tongue glued into a rabbet at the top of the sides.

  1. I would put a 3/4 x 2-3" nailing board under the back edge of the top. I usually screw it on through the top but if the top of the cabinet is visible I would rout off just the melamine and glue it on. If the wall of the garage where the cabinet will be looks decent I would do nothing else; if not, I would rabbet the back edge of the cabinet all around so I could glue/screw on a piece of 1/8" white tile board.

  2. I would make a plinth of 2x4 pressure treated lumber (smaller than the cabinet so as to create a toe kick), set the cabinet on it, shim as necessary, screw through the nailing board into garage wall, screw through cabinet bottom into 2x4 plinth. The plinth itself should be fastened to garage floor.

  1. I would make overlay doors in one of three ways... a) T&G or half lap frame and hardboard panel b) solid glued up from whatever - even ripped up 2x4s c) frame of 1/2 - 3/4 stock with 1/8" ply door skins or hardboard glued to each side

  2. Most base cabinets are around 24" deep. If you have room, that's the depth I would make them. However, cabinets that deep are a nuisance in as much as it is hard to get to stuff in the back; consequently, I usually make a frame with shelves that I attach to the back of the door. I have made them in depths varying from 4" - 12". Naturally, the main cabinet shelves have to have a width narrow enough to accomodate the door shelves. The doors (and hinges) also have to be strong enough and allow for their attachment...b & c above are suitable, "a" may be too if the frames are wide enough and the weight to be hung on them isn't a lot.
Reply to
dadiOH

Uhhhhh. You just used up the only two basic styles of cabinet doors.

What type of door would you recommend ?

dadiOH wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Yes.. pocket holes have been used for many years in the cabinet industries. With the Kreg jig available now, it makes a perfect joint for cabinets.

Go here:

look around.

have built "many" cabinets using glue and pocket holes joinery with ZERO failure.

The screws are really just a replacement for clamps and make the assemble twice as fast.

After you have done one cabinet, you will be standing there wondering where this has been during your woodworking.

dan wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Pat Barber

Save your self some time and work by searching the cabinet shops for returns or overstock. Kitchen cabinets have been the main stay in my Florida Garage shop for 20 years. With little modification they will work wonders for all your storage needs.

Regards,

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker

Dennis

What I said...

  1. I would make overlay doors in one of three ways... a) T&G or half lap frame and hardboard panel b) solid, glued up from whatever - even ripped up 2x4s c) frame of 1/2 - 3/4 stock with 1/8" ply door skins or hardboard glued to each side
Reply to
dadiOH

I am exactly there right now, in the middle of assemblig a carcase with my new Kreg master system. It's too freakin' easy!

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

I don't use cabinets any more. With all the spam postings here for Louis Vuitton handbags and luggage, I figured I'd take advantage of the bargains. Now, all my tools are in fine looking, stylish handbags.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

After seeing your webpage on down home roasting of a whole pig, I never took you for a designer handbag kind of guy.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

RE: Subject

Find a used office furniture and check out 4 drawer filing cabinets.

HON will be cheaper, but chintzy.

BTW, 2 high & 4 high are almost the same price.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lee Michaels" wrote

As with all shop endeavors, you gotta do something with the scraps, and pig skin is more suitable for shop use.

Reply to
Swingman

As Edwin is a wrecker of note, the whole pig idea came about when he attempted to make silk purses. After using the sow's ears, what to do with the rest of the pig... what to do... BURN the thing... and that smelled kinda good. The rest is history.

My connection with pigs is trying to make them fly.

Reply to
Robatoy

attempted to make silk purses. After using the sow's ears, what to do with the rest of the pig... what to do... BURN the thing... and that smelled kinda good. The rest is history.

Is that the same pig that had an artifical back leg?

Pig was so good the didn't want to eat him all at once.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On my last garage I made several top and bottom cabinets using 1/2" plywood. I found 1/2" thickness plywood is more than adequate. However, for the adjustable shelving, I used both side 1/4" plywood sandwiches with leftover 1/2" plywood (cut to size to obtain 3/4" thickness and glue three to four lengthwise and at both ends). You really cannot tell whether I use 3/4" or ½" plywood. There are no signed of sagging. You can see pics of the cabinets in abpw, under "Garage Cabinets."

I moved and now planning to make the same ½" plywood, face frame top and lower cabinets. As for the "feet," or Kick Frame," I use ½" leftover plywood running the full length of lower cabinets. I save time and plywood using this method. You can learn more if you can get hold of a copy of "American Woodworking" February 1999, #71 (Built tour own "Shop Cabinets" page 42). Further, I strongly suggest you email John Paquay snipped-for-privacy@insighttbb.com,

to buy ($9) a copy of "Building Your Own Kitchen Cabinetry."

Good Luck.

Reply to
eric

"Robatoy" wrote

Swingman

Lake.

is an old connection from the AMUG hay days. That picture is NOT shopped.)

Reply to
Robatoy