Garage Storage Cabinets ??

Time to organize the garage. I plan to build my own storage cabinets using 1/2" or 3/4" plywood - I'm leaning towards 1/2". These will be sitting on adjustable "feet" so the bottom would most likely be 3/4". I plan on having some adjustable shelves and sliding shelves. There will be doors on most if not all of the cabinets. I would like these to look fairly nice, durable and easy to clean. Should I paint or finish with urethane?

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Reply to
dan

3/4" for your casework ... you be will sorry otherwise, particularly when it comes to fastening all the various hardware.
Reply to
Swingman

Use melamine.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I would use 3/4" plywood and pocket hole joinery.

I would make flat slab doors(3/4") banded with iron on tape and use euro hinges. (1/2" will not work with euro)

I would alo hang them with a french cleat.(1/2" back)

With a table saw and Kreg jig, you could crank them out in day or two.

A wipe > Time to organize the garage. I plan to build my own storage cabinets

Reply to
Pat Barber

Best make sure those edges are really sealed up well.... PB in a garage???

MDO, 3/4" and paint. Assemble with stainless deck screws.... pre- drilled.

Reply to
Robatoy

True, I should clarify that it depends on the climate and the details of the garage.

I've had PB / melamine cabinets in my attached garage for 15 years.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

PB and moisture will end up looking like the ankles on a 60 year old Bulgarian hooker.

Reply to
Robatoy

I know, I've seen it in kitchens and basements.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

PB and moisture will end up looking like the ankles on a 60 year old Bulgarian hooker

First hand knowledge??? BTW thanks for the mental image; ruined my lunch! Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

I knew you knew... just saw it as an opening to use the Bulgarian hooker image.

Reply to
Robatoy

Instead of building cabinets, you can get unwanted cabinets from a kitchen remodel for much less than the plywood you plan to buy. If you recycle the cabinets they are already finished, otherwise consider pre-finished 3/4" ply.

Reply to
Phisherman

I do appreciate that image.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Just this week, I missed one of those opportunities.

They were all stacked up in front of the house, but before I could get back with the truck, it had poured!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

You've seen Bulgarian hookers in kitchens and basements?! the basement I can understand, but not in the KITCHEN fer cryin' out loud!

Reply to
tom_murphy

I planned on the Euro style. The pocket hole joinery. Will it provide enough "bite" into the 3/4" ply or would I need to add some "support". I've not done pocket hole joinery so if it seems like a dumb question ...

Reply to
dan

The goulash is fantastic.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Before you make the final plan you may consider movable cabinets. My main work bench is on wheels with storage underneath. It is the same height as my table saw so can be used as either and indeed or out feed table. I can also arrange it into the most convenient arrangement for either the router or table saw. (Putting parts that I am working on)

I don't remember where but I recently saw a short video of someone's workshop garage, where the made four or five common cabinets all on wheels and the same height. he also made other modules for drill press, table saw, router, etc. that were all of he same working height of the cabinets.

When not in use he would line them up along one of the garage walls. when doing a project he would arrange the cabinets to gain the optimally work flow.

If he were working on a car he could then move the appropriate modules to make it convenient for working on the car.

If we ever get into a position where we are going to be in one house long enough I plan to make my work shop similarly.

Reply to
Keith nuttle

Can I use 1/2" backing if dadoed in?

Reply to
dan

For the backing I'd even go 1/4.

S.

Reply to
samson

1/4" would be okay as samson said. A rabbet will do as well.
Reply to
Robatoy