FWW Article: "you can't be serious" abount clamping.

Years ago, I wrote that too much clamp pressure might cause glue starvation. Then a host of people came up with a "no way in hell" response.

I am willing to bet that if you use FWW's (or, rather, their author's) criteria, you'll have a good shot at reaching that stage, if you don't otherwise.

I've been woodworking for something over 50 years--54 years ago, I was working after school at the Katonah Altar Factory--and I have never once heard anyone recommend pressures like those.

Still, I have to admit, I'm seeing some delamination in cutting boards I made 20 years ago. I think most of that, and probably all, is due to the boards getting a too wet swipe with a rag too often, without being dried. Not good for Titebond, which is what I used back then.

Reply to
Charlie Self

If you really applied that kind of force on dense hardwood, I tend to agree without anything more scienfic other than, like you, a long time doing this.

It isn't available how the author did the testing reported in the paper to achieve the reported pressures, but he claims it isn't a problem from his work.

But, if it was done by counting more clamps as added pressure, that really doesn't produce a direct increase in total pointwise clamping pressure as the force is distributed in a ray from the clamping point and the maximum total pressure is the vector sum of the applied forces. Consequently, only actually increasing the ability of the clamp itself to apply more force will actually make the total pressure increase linearly at the clamping point--the other clamps added along the length of the joint only add their reduced overlapping partial contribution. Consequently, except under the laboratory conditions of having a massive press with which to do the testing, the pressures applied in the shop aren't anything approaching what the simple summation of all clamps' total force would imply. Which, by the way, is the assumption made in the article in the "formula" for determining the total number of clamps required. (And, btw for anybody else who has the article or looks at it, there's a mistake in units in it as printed -- the force/clamp is given units of lb/in instead of just lb.)

--

Reply to
dpb

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do. Take 10 magazines with 6 issues a year each, over a decade... it isn't like woodworking changes all that much, you're going to get a lot of repetition, especially since they've got to think about new readers who are picking up the magazine for the first time.

If you're looking for original content, don't pick up magazines.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

they've been sending me solicitations since I was in my mid 30's.....

Reply to
bridgerfafc

and Jesus was a Rabbi.

not exactly what we'd call orthodox today, but a Rabbi nonetheless.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

My guess, the latter (photos of wood), yes, the former ("good" sites), not so much.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

In some ways he studied it well.

**
**

B A R R Y

Timothy Learys dead. No, no, no, no, hes outside looking in. Timothy Learys dead. No, no, no, no, hes outside looking in. Hell fly his astral plane, Takes you trips around the bay, Brings you back the same day, Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

Timothy Learys dead. No, no, no, no, hes outside looking in. Timothy Learys dead. No, no, no, no, hes outside looking in. Hell fly his astral plane, Takes you trips around the bay, Brings you back the same day, Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

Along the coast youll hear them boast About a light they say that shines so clear. So raise your glass, well drink a toast To the little man who sells you thrills along the pier.

Hell take you up, hell bring you down, Hell plant your feet back firmly on the ground. He flies so high, he swoops so low, He knows exactly which way hes gonna go. Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

Hell take you up, hell bring you down, Hell plant your feet back on the ground. Hell fly so high, hell swoop so low. Timothy Leary.

Hell fly his astral plane. Hell take you trips around the bay. Hell bring you back the same day. Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

Reply to
Robatoy

I moved on the instant I saw the glue up with the QuickGrips on it. He asserts you can get greater pressure with them than K-Bodies? Please.

I bought my first QuickGrips probably 20 years ago. It took me all of about five minutes to figure out they were possibly okay for some tasks, but you couldn't depend on them staying clamped and they definitely couldn't be clamped really hard. Those first ones were also my last ones.

Reply to
LRod

Yeah, I tried a couple of them when they first came out, and they were crap. After they sat around taking up spae for years, I finally just threw them out. One of the contractors I used to work with would pick one or two up every couple years to see if they ever improved, and they never seem to. Just one more of the gizmos that is targeted to homowners and handymen that just don;t know better (or just don't care).

Having said that, for one time very light duty use, I might grab one - IF they were a lot cheaper than any other option...

-jd

Reply to
jd

I knew I wouldn't be the only one who noticed that statement.

Quick Grips are excellent for one handed grabs, strapping my DT jig to the bench, hold-downs for biscuit cutting or drilling, etc... I've never had good luck with them for gluing.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Unfortunately, I believe it was there. FWW has recently (last year or two) had a large scale change of staff which has resulted in it morphing into a publication that I no longer take seriously.

It's unfortunate because thanks to my father-in-law, I have the complete collection. The older publications were treasures. The latest ones, not so much.

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Were they the old Quickgrips, or the new ones? The newer "XP" ones can give a LOT more pressure than the old ones (they claim 900lbs squeezing with two hands).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

If they're slipping or not grabbing, _clean_ them. They often come from the store with grease on the lock or the bar--if there's any grease or oil there at all they'll slip. If they're clean they actually hold with a pretty good amount of force (and yes, I do have K-bodies). The big problem I have with them is that the jaws aren't very rigid, so the work will shift sideways during clamping.

I wouldn't have ever thought of getting them but I was working on an overhead job with a bunch of little bits and pieces and one of them fell on my head one time too many and I went down to Home Despot for a roll of carpet tape to hold them in place. On the way to the carpet tape I saw packages of four Quik-grips on sale for some absurdly low price, took a good look at them, and realized that they'd hold my bits and pieces without having to pry the carpet tape off later. Gave them a try, then started using them for other stuff. Found out that they were _far_ better than the comments I've seen here would suggest, as long as they were kept clean.

And yes, I have a bunch of K-bodys and pipe clamps and handscrews and C-clamps and probably just about any other kind of clamp you can imagine. Each serves a purpose.

Incidentally, the difficulty with getting high forces out of Besseys is the handle, it doesn't give you any real leverage.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Reply to
B A R R Y

And he's _still_ spaced out.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Tue, Oct 9, 2007, 2:20am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail-dot-.com (LRod) did sayeth: I moved on the instant I saw the glue up with the QuickGrips on it. He asserts you can get greater pressure with them than K-Bodies? Please. I bought my first QuickGrips probably 20 years ago. It took me all of about five minutes to figure out they were possibly okay for some tasks, but you couldn't depend on them staying clamped and they definitely couldn't be clamped really hard. Those first ones were also my last ones.

I never bought any cause they look so weak - and pricey. Actually, they look like plastic, but I never handled one, so can't say for sure. Got some metal equivalents at Big Lots for around $1.50 each. They work about like a caulking gun, and sure exert adequate pressure, have no problem with them staying clamped. I try to pick up one or two, if in stock, and about $2 each, which is not often. The other day they were $4+ each. Only 6" capacity, but no problem to cut one in half, then rivet or weld a metal extension in, to extend it a foot or so. Can be very handy at times.

J T

So which is it, did you never buy any QuickGrips or did you buy your first ones 20 years ago?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 11:15am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth query: So which is it, did you never buy any QuickGrips or did you buy your first ones 20 years ago?

I never bought any QuickGrips. LRod bought some 20 years ago. I bought inexpensive metal quick clamps a few years back, and I've been quite happy with those.

J T

The "first ones 20 years ago" was from my post. He doesn't know how to set webtv to identify quotes. I've fixed that in this one to what it is supposed to look like.

Reply to
LRod