furniture finishing

I have just had a new set of maple cabinets delivered at my new construciton site. The custon cabinet maker is awesome. The fit is perfect, the construction flawless, the finish on the cabinets/faces is perfect. The finish on the raised panel doors however, is a disaster. The color is a dark cherry finish to match the pool table in the same room. The doors appear to be many, many, many shades lighter, particularly the raised panel in the center of each (22 of them) door. Evidently there was some sort of problem with uptake of stain on the doors, which were made by a subcontractor, and not by the cabinet maker himself.

Is this related to some part of the fabrication process, perhaps too much/not enough sanding, or some other correctable problem? Can/how can these doors be fixed? Is there a solution short of replacing them? If they are replaced, how can I be sure the new ones will not stain, or more accurately not NOT stain, in a similar fashion?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert Cibiras

Reply to
Robert A. Cibiras

The color can be fixed and or corrected on new doors.

Fact is, it isn't your problem it's between the cabinet maker and the sub contractor.

There is nothing in the fabrication, construction, or, finishing process that would make it impossible to coloring all the cabinets in a matching tone.

There are a lot of things that will make a color/hue change between different parts of a woodworking item but none of them are such that it can't be "fixed" by the finisher so the overall effect is consistent color. .

Reply to
Mike G