FT:trading stuff... and looking for big metal ferrule

I have in my shop some tooling an material that some other folks might not have.... For instance I have a modest cache of spalted maple turning blanks and some hickory which would be ideal for tool handles. There may be some other folks may have "extras" that would be new/special/unique for those who don't have access.

Is there a site where people trade woodorking supplies or services? If not, would it make sense to establish a precident of "FT" as a subject prefix?

I'm looking for some metal rings that could be used as ferrules on the face of a large mallet. I have looked at electrical and plumbing fittings but have not found anyting that would work.

Ideally, if someone had a metal-cutting bandsaw and had some scrap pipe that could cut off some 1/2" sections that would work really well. Something in the range of 2.5 to 5" diameter.

Does anybody have have access to that tooling/material or have come across an other-the counter "thing" that would function well as a big ferrule?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
C&S

I'm not sure of a a web site for trading woodwiring supplies, but Craigslist has a 'barter' section. As for the newsgroup, I like the idea of using it (non-commercially not for spamming of course!) for this purpose, but why not just spell out "For Trade" in the subject so there's no ambiguity?

Now, for the metal rings for your mallet question. If you know any electricians who do industrial work you may be able to get a piece of

2" or larger EMT. It can be cut with a tubing or pipe cutter. If you want something heavier gauge than EMT, 2" iron pipe is closer to 2.5" OD. If you don't know any electricians or plumbers, you could try scrounging from a construction site dumpster or maybe a demolition site. If you are really desparate, you could even buy the pipe, and perhaps the EMT, from Home Depot or Lowes. They might look at you strangely, but they should be able to cut it as you describe there also. Once you get above 2" (Pipe is measured by ID) in size, iron pipe and fittings get a bit harder to find but they are certainly available. If you go to a plumbing supply house, you may even be able to get 2" copper, which IMO would look kind of neat on a mallet compared to iron or steel.
Reply to
lwasserm

This is waaaay out but.................do you know someone with a bandsaw blade welder. You could take old bandsaw blades, grind off the teeth and make the ring any diameter you wished. Like I said it's way out! :-) Good Luck Lyndell P.S. Do a search for bronze bushings. They are relatively cheap and come in all sorts of sizes.

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson