free 3D cad software?

Understood and agreed.

However, if I'm going to shell out $500 + bucks for CAD

IntelliCAD works almost exactly and looks almost exactly like AutoCAD LT and the new purchase price is $149.

Remember the old spreadsheet programs? LOL. I still use Lotus 123. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

What industry? What standard? In the industry I'm in (mechanical engineering/manufacturing), Mastercam, Pro engineer, Catia, Solidworks, Solidedge, Invetor, ect are the software you will encounter. AutoCAD is slightly more prevalent than hen's teeth.

Reply to
CW

Leon, price on Intellicad varies greatly from vendor to vendor. I bought mine from CMS. The trial download version (from all venders) is the light version. That same version from CMS is $51.95. The premium version (the one I have) is 173.95.

Reply to
CW

Ohhhhhhhhh I did not know that. I was looking directly at the InrelliCAD site. Oddly about 3 weeks ago I installed the pro version and it counts down the evaluation days I have left but apparently I am doing something with computer maintainence that starts the count down at 30 every week or so. This count down has started over 2 times so far. I wonder if IE 7.0 is causing this.

Reply to
Leon

You could "evaluate" it for years like that. Nice. :)

Reply to
CW

Around here (SoCal) its Architects, Civil Engineering and cabinet/funiture companies. Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Leon

Lotus!!! Do they still exist? Did'nt IBM buy them just to shoot them in the head?

I looked for IntelliCAD and only could find it for $500+ I'll give it a try for a buck and a half!

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Nope. Bought them for Notes. Still producing the other stuff though.

It's available from a number of sources--the history is that it was developed by Visio and when Microsoft bought Visio they didn't want to be in the CAD business so they spun it off to a consortium. For a while there was a free version but that ended a long time ago.

Consortium members pay a flat fee to belong to the consortium (IIRC) and then they can charge whatever they want to for the product. CMS is the low price leader starting at 52 bucks.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Last I searched you could still get the Lotus SmartSuite and 123 seperatelu IIRC I am working off of a 1999 version which was still available in the stores back then.

Look here, even cheaper. Thanks CW.

Leon

Better yet, Look here.

Leon

Nobody's mentioned Rhino3D, which I have at work. I have been using AutoCAD for years as well, but Rhino is amazing for wood projects. It's a true 3D program, in that you draw in 3 axes, and it's damn easy to learn. What I love is how simple it is to add lights and shading and wood bumpmaps to the model, to really get a feel for how something is going to look.

Reply to
bob

That's a good program if your goal is to draw a picture of your project. I was thinking of buying Rhino a while back but it doesn't have any way of generating 2D prints from the model. I use Turbocad Pro. Full 3D solid modeling and 2D prints generated from that model.

Reply to
CW

Hey John

I was looking for a cabinet (plus) software program that is free or very inexpensive and I found a free (full) program.

. The learning curve is a little high but you cant beat the features - 3-D drawings w/ wood type and cut list, floor plans can be drawn, I recommened the program, I just fill out the form and I got a Cd in the mail 3-4 weeks later.

Reply to
mojodc3

Teamcasa

IMSI is not unlike Intuit and Roxio ... they acquire then extort, instead of develop and add value.

Reply to
Swingman
2D models can most certainly be printed with Rhino, not unlike AutoCAD outputs.
Reply to
bob

Generate 2D in Rhino, export to a cad program, correct linestyles, add details, add section hatching, ect. There are better ways.

Reply to
CW