found old sharpening stone can anyone ID it?

Hi fellas,

I was recently checking out an old shaving kit of my late Granddad's. It would have been in use around the turn of the century, I mean 1900 or a little before! The stone in it has me curious.

It's dark gray, 1-13/16" wide, 5" long and 7/16" thick. It has the label or caption "The NAC" stamped or cut into one end.

It put an edge on a Stanley like anything you'd want, _sharp_, sorta silky-bright, clean.

I was hoping it would be black Arkansas, but the words cut in it suggest otherwise, don't they?

Anyway I might test it, like for hardness etc?

Thanks all

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

if you have the capability, you might post a pic to the binary newsgroup so people can see it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

No sooner said than done! I was afraid a pic would not show the color as it is. It's slightly reddish, seems to turn slightly greenish when wet and while using it, then reddish when it dries.

The pic is posted as: "old sharpening stone what-is-it"

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

My straight razor sharpening stone (from my grandfather is a two sided and that measures 2"x1/2"x4-3/8". One side is like you describe and the other brownish color. A sticker says start with the blackish side first. The stone is embossed with: *No 00 FRICTIONITE*

Reply to
Larry

I went off to look for "Frictionite".

It's a pumice-like very abrasive and hard material, and it seems to be a good thing to have in turkey calls :-)

That is, if the few references I could find, were talking about the same thing.

Anyway, pretty clearly my grandad's shaving stone is not black Arkansaw. Dang-

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs
00 FRICTIONITE HONE, WONDER BLOCK. AMERICAN SAW MANUFACTURING CO. 301 CHESTNUT STREET EAST LONGMEADOW MASS. ???
Reply to
Chipper Wood