Forstener bit or ?

I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to clamp etc.

Maybe I should do a hole saw but what do you think? Need something I can use to do a good quantity, reliably.

Do they make a carbide forstener? Haven't seen anything.

Reply to
mkr5000

what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

to do a good quantity, reliably.

Absolutely. You can get them at most at any cabinet supply, including WoodCraft. Freud makes them for sure.

That said, I've got HSS Forstner's that I've been using for years on oak and they're still sharp.

The key to keeping them (HSS) sharp is running the bit at the proper rpm:

Swingman

Thanks -- I'll head over to Woodcraft, they're near me.

As far as the spade not being true, it's really my piece of &^$% drill press. Too much wobble.

Reply to
mkr5000

I've drilled some pretty amazing holes with a *new* spade bit.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Probably caused by run-out and it won't improve with a better bit. There should be a set screw on the press, somewhere around the shaft, to tighten up the run-out.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, that or you need to remove the chuck and clean the morse taper, then reinsert the chuck.

BTW a fostener can be resharpened multiple times. Just sharpen the flat, then the bevel, then take the burr off the flat.

I use a small diam> >> Thanks -- I'll head over to Woodcraft, they're near me.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Or get one of these files.

Artemus

what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Probably because of the quality you bought. I have probably drilled

1000 plus holes with a sing 1.375 Forstner bit.

to do a good quantity, reliably.

How many holes do you need to drill. A decent HSS Forster should last you a very long time.

Yes there are carbide Forstners but IMHO they are not as sharp and don't cut quite as cleanly as a HSS bit.

Reply to
Leon

what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

True. Try one of the new Bosch Daredevil spade bits though. Absolutely marvelous bit, scary-fast aggressive cut, clean hole!

do a good quantity, reliably.

Sure do. First google hit:

is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, there are carbide ones out there. but I haven't seen excessive wear on any good quality HSS Forstners.

Or try a HSS brad point unless it's a blind hole and the tip might poke through.

Spade bits are for carpenters :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

--------------------------------- Don't buy garbage.

I had a set of Freud carbide forstners (1/4"-1" & 1-3/8" for Blum hinges).

They worked just fine.

BTW, based on tests run at Cerritos college, forstner bits should be fed as rapidly as possible to get best results.

Have fun

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

mkr5000 wrote in news:14f197d8-d19c-4a08-b9a9-81254ce58ec5 @googlegroups.com:

what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

You mean, that's the trouble with *cheap* Forstner bits. A good Forstner bit should last for years. Either you're using really cheap junk bits, or you're running them way too fast and/or at too high a feed rate.

Reply to
Doug Miller