Forrest Saw Service Deteriorating?

Good for you and Forrest Joe, I am glad that your current problem has been resolved with Forrest.

Reply to
Leon

Well, the machines do last for a long time, and he does get to depreciate the equipment. But that said, my local sharpener said that when he bough 3 computer controlled sharpeners that he needed 3 just to keep up. He solicits business from all the local builders in the Houston area. I suspect that there are 50 to 75 housing developments steady building homes at any given time.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:jGeQd.10241$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

And it's nice to see that Jim Forrest takes a personal interest in the reputation of his company. A key indicator of success in a highly competitive business.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Swingman posts:

Yep ... my first thought, with replays of the threads on what gear lube to use, was that it was time to clean the damn sawdust out of the gear teeth.

Same thought thundered through my mind as I got irked at the delay. Sigh.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Since I don't own a Forrest blade, I don't have any experience with having one sharpened. Is it really necessary to send them back to Forrest or can one use a decent local sharpening service?

Reply to
Upscale

Hello there,

I have had two Forrests, a Ridge Carbide, Oldham, Freud, etc., the blade I leave in my saw now is a CMT 40 tooth "General" blade. It is not that expensive and I am really happy with it.

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

That's how they became and will continue to be sucessful. Dave

TeamCasa

That's how they became and will continue to be sucessful. Dave

TeamCasa

"David F. Eisan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

So, David, has the cabinet saw herd been thinned at all? Last I remember, you had three classic Uni's...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

running two shifts?

Reply to
Robatoy
[...snip...]

[...snip...]

If they don't flatten the blade, they can't really be sure they will accurately sharpen it. The deal with a Forrest blade, by all accounts, is to start with an exceptionally flat blade. But a good sharpener will flatten the blade as well.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Local saw shop. Twelve bucks to sharpen my Forrest blade. Five more bucks to fix a tooth.

There are also tons of mail order places that will do just as good work as Forrest for less money. Forrest ain't doing anything special to that blade.

Reply to
bob

Interesting... I sent a WWII to them about the same date and had it back in about a week... Guess they like me better then you. ;-)

Anyhow I've had that blade for over three years and it was still cutting well. I sent it back because I knocked a carbide off on a real hard knot and figured a repair was in order. The blade came back with the carbide replaced, and sharpened, and it cuts like new again. I had a good experience with them.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:17:23 -0600, "Swingman" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

You're a one-man operation, right?

Reply to
OldNick

A committee actually ... it's those voices, ya know.

Reply to
Swingman