Foodsafe glue for cutting board

Any thoughts on glues to use or not use on a cutting board? Seems like the water soluable glues will break down over time and end up in your food.

Reply to
Big Rob

Any of the better waterproof glues are just fine. Titebond II or II will work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No problem, they're indigestible plastic.

Reply to
George

You people crack me up sometimes. If you are afraid of ingesting glue from your cutting board than don't chew any gum.

Your wood glue (white and yellow) is made from PVA (Polyvinyl acetate). PVA is a synthetic polymer that is used as an ingredient in chewing gum.

Reply to
stoutman

The titebond website specifically endorses Titebond 2 a food safe for cutting boards. If they are willing to put that in print In todays litigious society I think that puts any concerns to rest.

"Are Titebond Glues safe to use? All of our Titebond wood glues are safe to use and produce no harmful fumes. They meet the requirements of ASTM D4236 for safe use with arts and crafts. Titebond III Ultimate wood Glue and Titebond II Premium Wood Glue have both been approved for indirect food contact. For this reason, it is the glue that we recommend for making cutting boards. We do recommend wearing gloves when working with the Titebond Polyurethane Glue because repeated use of the product with bare hands could lead to a sensitivity to those types of products.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Meaningless, as far as one glue versus another. Check FDA 21,Sec 175.300 for blanket approvals of any curing oil/resin/etc for indirect contact with food.

George

They provide a long list of substances that are deemed safe. How does that make anything stated in the previous post meaningless?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

actually read that?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'll write slowly.

If all glues of a type are deemed safe, then saying one glue is safer than another is meaningless.

Reply to
George

You don't have to write slowly, you just have to write clearly.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly