flattening boards

Hi, I have the following planes:

Stanley #5, Stanley #4, Stanley #7

Which of these is best to flatten one side of a board?

Thank you..Robert

Reply to
RWS

Is it a plain, rough sawn board? If so it's usually best to start with a scrub plane. (If the board is reasonably flat, or machine planed, you don't both with a scrub.) Since you don't have one, my favorite of the three you do have would be the #5. It's kind of an all purpose plane. I use mine for flattening boards but I usually don't start out on a rough sawn board with it. That doesn't mean you can't. Make sure you have a piece of chalk handy, and a straight edge or combination square. Using the straight edge at various angles (or the combination square blade) across the surface will help you spot the high ground, which you mark with the chalk. Plane the chalk marks away and recheck.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan