Fixing crap

I've started working with a general contractor who deals with the New Home Warranty program.

Keep installing crap, you cowboys out there! I've got no shortage of well-paying work because of you. (no present company included in that statement, BTW)

I also have a project on the go building new bases and legs for some upholstered theater chairs a seniors complex had delivered from China that were severely damaged in shipping. Started with rough cut 12/4 birch, dimensioned all the pieces, put the first one together only to discover that the friggin' chairs themselves are out of square by an inch corner to corner! Thank Grid I used pocket screws and haven't glued anything yet.

At least the money's good!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Cutting into Mike Holme's project set are we? ;~)

So you couldn't rack the chairs square with some big clamps? ;~)

Neither case surprises me... !

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I've started working with a general contractor who deals with the New Home Warranty program.

Keep installing crap, you cowboys out there! I've got no shortage of well-paying work because of you. (no present company included in that statement, BTW)

I also have a project on the go building new bases and legs for some upholstered theater chairs a seniors complex had delivered from China that were severely damaged in shipping. Started with rough cut 12/4 birch, dimensioned all the pieces, put the first one together only to discover that the friggin' chairs themselves are out of square by an inch corner to corner! Thank Grid I used pocket screws and haven't glued anything yet.

At least the money's good! ================================================================================ Maybe one day they will figure out that paying for it twice is not a good thing and they will start buying quality. Naaaa, never happen. You'll have plenty of work forever.

Reply to
CW

It's beginning to look like that! My poor little basement shop isn't set up for this... Gonna have to find a shop soon.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It's beginning to look like that! My poor little basement shop isn't set up for this... Gonna have to find a shop soon. =====================================================================

Great Let them finance your new shop. An upgrade that pays for itself.

Reply to
CW

Yabbut, was it the original chairs or the new BaldyMade(tm) chairs which were OOS? Did the covers fit the unsquares?

-- Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise. -- Margaret Atwood

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like the originals were screwed into place, racked to accommodate the OOS chairs (which are fully upholstered except for base and legs) and then the angle braces were glued in.

Which is essentially what I'm going to do once I stain and topcoat the new wood.

This is the second go-round with this client/supplier. The people working at the apartment complex now call me "The Chair Guy".

"BaldyMade(tm)"... I like it.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone