Fixin' To

Jeff Foxworthy, the ?You Might Be A Redneck? guy has written a Redneck Dictionary that may be next on my book purchase list. There are Redneck terms and phrases, which, when you really think about them, are very concise.

Case in point ?I?m fixin? to . . .? - in a woodworking context.

Whether you?re a Normite or Neanderm, there are ALWAYS things you MUST MUST do, or SHOULD do, before you get to actually doing the thing you intend to do. Regardless of how the work is to be done, there?s a bunch of preparatory operations to do - fence settings, depth of cut adjusting, parts identification, measurements and marking, layout lines to inscribe, stops to set, test pieces to make BEFORE doing the real thing, test finishes on scraps of the real thing, inumberable dry fitting, checking, etc., etc., etc. ( to quote Yule Brenner - who?).

Unless you do limited production runs of all the a parts for a particular piece, I?m guessing close to three quarters of the time involved with making something is actually ?fixin? to?. Another 15 to

20 percent of the time is spent ? cogitatin? ?, another southern term I?ll leave for others to define / describe.

Then there?s the modifcation / improvements to ?store bought? tools and machines. Think of all the mods you?ve made to just about any machine or commercial jig in your shop. Hell, even a Lie Nielsen socket chisel or plane could use some tweekin? - a micro bevel, a little shaving or sanding to get the grip just right, maybe a few passes on 8000 grit to polish the back.

Having really thought about this, I?ve concluded that a VAST majority of my shop time is devoted to ? fixin? to ?, most of the rest is ? cogitatin? ? and very little actually making, assembling and finishing a piece in wood.

Oh, and I?m pretty sure Waiting For Godot was writtern while the author was ?waiting for the glue to dry? or ?waiting for the finish to dry?. But that?s a topic for another time.

So what?s your ?fixin? to? time eater?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

How to build something in my living room without damaging any furniture or getting sawdust on everything. The bulk of the rest of the time is dedicated to enabling those precautions and then the balance of 10% of the time is put to actually building it.

Reply to
Upscale

A friend of mine, coming home from Home Depot with a bag of potting soil, allowed as how his Daddy would be pretty disgusted with his son buying "store bought dirt."

Dick Durbin Broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight.

Reply to
Olebiker

Waiting for someone to answer my post on Rec.Woodworking so's I'll know how to do the next step.

JC

Reply to
noonenparticular