FIRST Plane Purchase

I'll second these opinions about the LV Low Angle Jack if you might consider a longer plane, which could be more versatile. But if you're pretty sure you want a smoother-sized plane, I also have the Bevel-Up Smoother

and I'd recommend that VERY highly - I have nothing but good things to say about it. Well, it's a little ugly and some people think the handle is uncomfortable, but as soon as I put it to some wood, I realized it's a beautiful tool that feels great in use. I find it much easier to adjust than the standard bevel-down planes (lateral, blade projection, and mouth opening). The swappable blades make it ideal for use on a wide variety of woods. It's nice and wide with a very low center of gravity - you just have to push forward, as it feels like it's pulling itself right down against the surface of the wood - not much downward pressure is needed. And of course the plane and any blades come lapped and polished and tweaked and ready to use. (But sooner or later you'll definitely need some sharpening supplies). Order one of these planes - I think you won't be disappointed. But even if your opinions are very different from mine, you're still OK, because LV is great about returns if you're not satisfied for any reason. Good luck and have fun planing, Andy (No affiliations except as a completely satisfied customer)

Reply to
Andy

I would die a confused, disoriented, spiraling, yet happy man if given the controls of an F22 raptor.

Reply to
DS