Finishing Plywood Furniture

I built some birch plywood bookcases and was wondering the best way to finish them. I have experienced some blotching with stains on plywood before and do not want ruin the bookcases.

I was thinking of shellac, stain, and more shellac...

Any ideas?

Reply to
Andy Doble

Got any scrap plywood left? Use it to perfect your finishing method before you touch the actual piece. Write each step on the back of the test piece(s), this will help you recreate success and troubleshoot failure.

That said, try a thin washcoat of something like Zinsser's Seal Coat (actually dewaxed shellac), before staining. This will reduce the blotching.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I often hear on this group of Blotch's when staining, Egads I don't care what kind of wood it is cherry plywood or whatever, Blotches are to me the cause of improper sanding it is that simple, thorough sanding of the complete project will avoid blotching. I am talking hand sanding with the grain of course, Not to 9000 grit as many here do max 180 on raw wood and most of the time never past 120. I know that this will more than likely start a thread that will last for at least a week, everyone has there own way of doing things and even with cherry the cursed blotcher of all time I do not get blotches unless something was not sanded properly Sand with a ros and you you will get blotches, finish up with sand with the grain by hand and they will go away. Pine has and never will take stain well unless it is sealed first.

One day I am going to write a post on gluing that will probably get me banned from the rec, but that is another story and i do not want to end all myths al at one time.

Woman where the hell is my flame jacket

Good luck, George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

George M. Kazaka wrote: snip sanding disertation

OK, I'm ready for you to end the myth on gluing...........

I like having all the answers at one time

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

O Hell Gary, no one else is reading this thread so I might as well

I glue with the philosophy that you do not know if there is enough glue to hold it if it does not pour out. I do wash with a damp rag sometimes with a wet rag, and sometimes with a dry rag. Yes to wet and you comprimise the strength of the glue line I have never had a problem with a loose joint or a peice that the glue did not hold, I do not have a problem with finishing as many say they do, The only time there is a problem finishing is when something was not sanded enough or properly. What I hear guys doing to prevent glue from getting on the wood is IMHO absurd, what i find more absurd is the reasoning why. I know that folks get fixed notions in there head and I am not one to try to change anyones mind or the way they do things. Just sharing my experience's.

Good Luck, George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka