Finish on doors

I am going to replace the doors in my house with raised panel doors. I will stain and spray on a finsh of deft. My question is, do i need to pull the hinges off the doors or could I leave the doors attached to the frame and spray the finsh?

Thanks

Reply to
Rob-J

You can spray them in place, but then you have to mask off everything around the doors. You might find it easier to set up in the garage or on the patio to spray them. One easy way to spray doors is to tack on small blocks to the bottom of the door to get them off the ground, space them about 4' apart with a strip tacked across the tops of the doors to hold them at that distance. You can then go from one door to the next to spray them. If any are exterior doors, make sure you seal the top and bottom.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

And for exterior doors, I would recommend against the Deft lacquer. Although it is fine for interior applications, something like Hydrocote Polyshield (which I like) is is needed for exterior doors.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

These are all interior doors. I wanted to know if I could spray the deft over the hinges or remove the hinges. I would tape the exposed parts with the pins. There are a lot of doors so anything which would make it easier is what I am looking for.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Rob-J

Rob-J asks:

Normally, finishing is done without hardware. You might want to try one unit your way to see how it looks when open, when closed, when ajar. If it appears fine, go for it. If it doesn't, then pull the hinges. If these are room doors, someone, somewhere down the line will paint them and paint the hinges at the same time. Bet on it.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

it will probably be easier to remove the doors. set up sawhorses over a drop cloth, sand the doors lightly and lay them out on the horses. spray one side, flip spray the other.

Reply to
Bridger

The hinges should be taped off. Also, at the price of hinges, you might consider new hinges to go with the new finish.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas