Finish Nailer opinions??

I'm looking to buy a finish nailer for assembling furniture, mainly oak, but some pine or alder. I've looked at the Porter Cable FN250B, and their 650, a Senco 41XP. Then I saw some good opinions of the Craftsman 18177, or 18175, and the Craftsman 18431 had very good ratings. Any opinions on these?

Reply to
Ol' Texan

What type of furniture are you building that would use a finish nailer? On occasion I've used a brad nailer for furniture but I've never used my finish nailer for this purpose.

Nova

A finish nailer may be a bit rough fo furnitue building. I use a porter cable 16g bradnailer. It accepts 1/2" to 2" brads. it makes much smaller holes. The nails are just to hold the wood together tight until the glue dries anyway. Because of the wood you are planing to use I suppose you are going to be making cabnets, entertainment centers, tables, ect? If so I would sugest using a biscut joiner as well. They make very strong joints and there are no nail holes to try to hide with filler.

Reply to
tablesawnut

Only that, with the exception of cabinet backs for which I use a narrow crown stapler, I can't think of any furniture I have or would make with a finish nailer of.

Reply to
Mike G

Re uses wrt furniture I must agree...doesn't seem the appropriate tool.

WRT a finish nailer forj things like architectural mouldings, etc., I have a Bostitch I've used extensively and like quite a bit. I've heard good of Senco, but have no direct experience. I wouldn't touch a Craftsman power (whether electric or pneumatic)... be good, be terrible, be anything in between. What you can be sure of is it won't be the same six months from now. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The Senco 41Xp is certainly a nice gun. Here's my review of it if interested:

that helps

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online!

- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Woodcrafter