Finish for a garden bench

I have just completed a garden bench and need to finish it in a suitable manner. It is built of a South American hardwood (extremely hard!) and is very light in colour. Lighter than maple.

I would like the grain of the wood to show through but would prefer a darker shade. It looks quite good when it is wet.

We live in Montreal so it will be exposed to strong sunlight and harsh winters.

I tried Sikkens Cetol 1re teak on a test piece. A one coat application looks OK but the recommended two coat application looks like plastic.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I would hate to create a plastic monstrosity. On the other hand I would not want to be finishing it again this time next year.

You can see a picture of the bench on the cover of Fine Woodworking No.

198 of June 2008.

Best regards, Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

I've had good results with Penofin Oil, bad luck with Cetol.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski replied

I've had good results with Penofin Oil, bad luck with Cetol.

Thanks Ed, I'll look into that. I guess that's an oil finish rather than a film/varnish finish? I think I would prefer an oil finish but am a bit confused about the alternatives.

Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

Yes, it is oil. Easy to apply and pretty good UV protection.

I built a chaise lounge with cypress and painted it with Cetol. Couple of years later it was rotting away.

I do have a bench with Helmsman poly that is holding up well, but it is never in the sun.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

-------------------------------------------------------------- Check out Epifanes at Jamestown Distributors.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks Ed and Lew. I have found a Montreal distributor for Penofin Oil, so I will look into that. Epifanes only seems to have one location in Canada and it's way north of Toronto.

Best Regards, Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

----------------------------------------------------------- Check for a marine chandlery.

Got to be at least one in Montreal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Got to be at least one in Montreal.

Lew

------------------------------------------------------------ Absolutely right! there's one within a mile of my place. I looked in and, sure enough, they stock Epifanes.

However, I think I'll pursue the oil alternative. Thanks anyway.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Fearnley