Festool sander, deal with Leon?

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Where do you live? I'm just trying to figure out when Santa will deliver mine. :-)

(I guess I could check the tracking link, but what's the fun in that?)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Radar indicates........ LOL

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Santa dropped it on the porch today. Got some play time in with it and then went to finish setting the knives on the jointer. I do like the new Systainer design, it's sure a lot easier to use.

It uses the same size sandpaper as my other sander, so I'm all set.

I did find a hanging chad, though! Election time is near so vote your conscience (and don't be afraid to write in "none of the above!")

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Just outside of Atlanta, about 20mi from Highland. I'll be there tomorrow (have a consultation with a surgeon about 2mi from Highland).

They didn't waste any time after the 1st.

Reply to
krw

Yes! I really like the rotating latch. My drill came with that style latch, a Christmas present about 4 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

Mine is set to be delivered 11/7. I was pleased to see the voucher is indeed good 'til 12/2017.

I've been pondering what to do with all that Fes-cash I will soon have. Anyone have comments on the cheapest Fes-vac?

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Would you vacuum your home with a Dust Buster? IMHO this vac will be good for portability to job sites but for a daily user in your shop you probably want to look at something with more capacity. You might find that changing the bag, 3~6 times more often than a larger vac, might make this vac more expensive in the long run.

Reply to
Leon

Yep. That was my thought when I went for the largest. I hate changing bags. Worse, they always need to be changed when I really want to be doing something else. With the handle, it's pretty easy to move, anyway. It moves up stairs, if I ever need to do it, like a very lightly loaded hand truck - easy. It's significantly more money but I ascribe to the "only cry once" philosophy.

Reply to
krw

Brewster wrote in news:nvkpgi$1dks$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

It's not a bad vacuum, but like Leon and krw have said you give up capacity for portability. The bag really isn't all that big, so don't expect it to do serious cleanup... it's a sander only vac. Don't expect to plug your table saw in to this, even to use it as an extension cord. The outlet was pretty limited in what the max wattage was.

That being said, the hose storage on top is nice (I wish they had given me a tiny bit more space, a 1/2" deeper would make a huge difference) and the machine is really quite light. Both the sander and the vacuum are easy to pick up and take somewhere. Taking my big vac down to the club was difficult as it was just so huge.

Noise wise, the sander is louder than the vacuum. It's hard to come up with something to compare it to, but you'll have to speak up to have a conversation over the sander and vac but could probably have a conversation with just the vac running.

If you are looking for a vacuum, you might see if you can still work a combo deal with one of the dealers and save some more money. Sometimes you can save more than $50 by buying a sander and vacuum combo. [Check my figures, it was a while ago I looked at this.] Of course you've still got the voucher but that's another Domino to fall. I think the RO125 would be a pretty nice complement to any shop, it's the only ROS you can get 24 grit paper for! Aggressive when you need it, smooth when you want it. It uses the same paper as your Pro-5, which is a nice bonus.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:581e0349$0$55931$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Looking at the Mini or Midi, they're only about 5 lbs more but have double or more the capacity. They're a little bigger and have wheels, and might be better values overall.

Does anyone else have any input on this? I don't know about Brewster, but I've already got a big shop vac for that kind of stuff. What I'm looking for is something I can reasonably take with me, even if it is just out of the garage into the house.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have the discontinued CT22E which is 6 gal. The current CT26 is marginally bigger, but appears to be the rough equivalent of my CT22E, and would probably be the one I would look to replace it.

That said, I would think that at roughly 1/2 the volume, and considering how far I can go with the CT22E bag changes (rarely need to change it) The CT MIDI HEPA would probably do you for occasional job site and house use.

IME, the Festool DE's do excel at house cleaning tasks. Because I usually leave it onsite during a job, I'll often let a client borrow it at night after they see it in action. They always remark on how much better it cleans than their home vacuums.

Reply to
Swingman

I should clarify, the vac would be an accessory for the sander, dust collection. I have a larger shop vac, but something more portable and potentially more effective would be nice.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

This is good info, thanks!

I'm thinking for general sanding in the shop and when I do sanding in the house with renovation projects (trim, etc).

I have a large stationary cyclone dust collector, but it's a tad impractical to fire up every time I use a hand sander.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Yes, the Festool bait and hook. In terms my wife would appreciate, "this one is nice but that next model up is so much shinier"!

I have quite the assortment of "portable" vacs so I'm thinking of just a sander accessory, but as these things go.....

Time to ponder!

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

I didn't notice any difference, other than the color. Interestingly, this appears to be the only tool in the black/green systainer. Even the just-released tools come in the cream/green systainers.

Reply to
krw

Well with the larger Festool vac over the regular shop vac, you do not need hearing protection.

Reply to
Leon

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The older design has a series of 4 snaps that hold the box closed and to the next box. That's what those 4 notches around the bottom of the box are for, to make it compatible with the older design.

It's a pain to get the box open sometimes, and you find yourself reaching for a big screwdriver or something to pop that last snap free.

Maybe, but IL's going blue anyway.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Oh, then the "new" design isn't all that new.

I pity you. I left that hole over 40 years ago.

Reply to
krw