Fence on a belt sander

I just bought a Craigslist Central Machinery sander (35 bucks) and I want t o sand a longer piece than the sander itself. Do I need the fence on the ma chine, or can I just take it off without too much worry? No instruction ma nual of course, and I can't find online.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You can take it off. If you're sanding small stuff there's a risk of loosing your grip and having whatever you're sanding go shooting away, but for bigger pieces you'll have no trouble maintaining control.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

All there sanders have online manuals