Federal lawsuit to protect woodworking

Monks of St. Joseph Abbey sue state of Louisiana for right to make caskets.

Video

HeyBub

shocking revelation.

Reply to
DGDevin

Roman Catholic Church _small_ business??????

--

Reply to
dpb

Doesn't Uncle Sam categorize any business with more than 50 and fewer than 50 million a "small business" nowadays?

Sub-50's a Mom 'n Pop Shop.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Any 'organization' is going to fight to keep money in their pockets. No surprise, but sad. Next you'll need a license to scatter ashes.

Indeed. Who'd a'thunk it? At $29-50k a year, not a big enough business for me to switch careers.

Vatican = big business. Monks = small business.

It's a bit more complicated than that ... if you're interested, see...

FL RAC defines small businesses as those companies with 500 or fewer employees, the same measure generally used by the US Small Business Administration.

500? Seems a bit larger than small to me but I'm not Uncle Sam and don't get the privilege of taxing people.
Reply to
Casper

Ahem, it seems to be one group of monks that is being threatened with prosecution here, not the whole church.

Reply to
DGDevin

This is not the first time this has happened in Louisiana, nor is it the first state where this has happened. IIRC, the last one was Kentucky. Funerals and associated industries are recession proof and bring in a lot of cash. Turf is fiercely defended.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

----------------------------- Just one of the many reasons donating your body to a medical school makes a lot of sense.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm with you there. Use all the parts possible for transplants and use the rest for science. I've got two artificial hips, and the ortho community likes to see how they wore.

I've also suggested my wife just put me in the recycling bin. In addition to the hips there is the metal in the lumbar spine and cervical spine.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Or she could compost you and put the remaining metal parts in the recycle bin when the rest of you is mulch. ;~)

Reply to
DGDevin

Great idea, I'll pass that along!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Wouldn't that be a Pop 'n Pop shop in the caseof the Monks? Wait. That's not right either.

Monk 'n Monk shop?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol