failed glue joints-help needed

i have a table in which the glue joints on the large through tenons have failed. the table is now wobbly and I would like to reglue the failed joints. Is there a way to do this without busting the whole structure apart? thx rwk

Reply to
rwk

Probably. Can you post a 640x480 photo to a web page or to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking ?

Can the tenons be pulled apart (even slightly)?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

stretchers are cut in the shape of a very large dovetail which is set into a through socket cut into the top of leg. the whole joint is exposed. looks quite nice but the glue eventually failed. If I could get a glue with good viscosity to flow down into the joint, I think that would do it. not sure what to use or how to force it in.

Reply to
rwk

What's the reason for the request for a specific picture size?

RicodJour

I'd choose the glue for holding power rather than viscosity.

A syringe-type applicator would probably allow you to force glue into the joint.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

So /I/ can see it, too.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com
[...]>

Or indeed a syringe, as bought over the counter of the chemists.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Your monitor doesn't display pictures that are larger than

640x480....? R
Reply to
RicodJour

Not when when the server strips 'em off or drops the post altogether.

Aside from that, unnecessarily large image files would seem inconsiderate of dial-up users.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I have had some luck with the syringes too, mostly on chairs. They make kits with a thinner glue that supposedly spreads out better within the joint. But, I have done OK using regular carpenter's glue like Titebond.

BTW, the glue syringes have varying sized of needles, and don't try to just poke it into the wood. You should work the needle into the edge of the joint, or drill a small hole just larger than the needle.

Don't need a alcohol swab either.

Ron

Reply to
rnrbrogan

On a 30" monitor set for 3840 x 2400, a 640 x 480 looks really small.

Reply to
Robatoy

Alright. I don't frequent abpw and I didn't realize that there were limitations on that end. I thought you were talking about your personal preference. Thanks for the info.

RicodJour

No worry. My personal preferences would be to be able to embed images in posts here, have a monitor/video card like robatoy's, and for all of us to be on gigabit wireless.

Hmm - as long as I'm wishing, I might as well wish for some of that magic mud, too. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That's why I use flickr instead of ABPW--upload once in the largest size and flickr makes thumbnails in a variety of smaller sizes. For onesie-twosies it's a free service. Retention is as long as flickr stays in business.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A syringe with a 14 ga needle....grind off the point, keep center clear.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Yea - I have a nice brass syringe and a small set of needles. One is 7" long and is square on the end - normally. Others are reclaimed from my wife - large massive ones. B12 3" long into the thigh.

Vets have them for animals - they might be more willing - larger sizes and not people sizes.

Mart>>> A syringe-type applicator would probably allow you to force glue into the >>> joint.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Oooo, shudder!

Reply to