Face Frame: Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws

When building face frames is their an advantage to one or the type of screws, Modified Pan Head or Round Washer head screws? Local lumber store carries both and I don't know or see the reason for a difference. Thanks

Keith

Reply to
who

That's a little hard to answer without knowing how you intend to use the screws.

Are you going to fasten the face frame to the carcase with screws? Are you going to use the screws in pocket joinery to assemble the face frame? Or do you have something else in mind?

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

I am building an entertainment center and was using the screws for pocket joinery in building the face frame and using screws to fasten the face frame to the carcass. So I am going to be using them in both instances, is one better than the other for either application.

Keith

Reply to
keith

For pocket joinery, use the round head washer type screws (Kreg supplies screws specifically for this purpose). They tend to draw the joints tightly together.

For fastening the face frame to the carcase, I'd use wood screws set into a

3/8 - 1/2" deep counterbore and plug the holes with wooden dowel that is of the same or similar material as your face frame. The "bungs," if they're visible at all, will look like a design element. You could even make them of a contrasting material like black walnut.
Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

That's one way to go. I prefer invisible nailing for attaching my face frames.

Upscale

Tipically if the piece of wood with the pocket hole is a soft wood a larger head screw is preferable to help prevent crushing the wood when tightening the screw. Small head screws work fine on Hard woods.

Reply to
Leon