Exciting times ahead.

The 'No Bullshit' approach is sooo refreshing.

Just the other day, I received an e-mail and a fax of the drawings to quote on a job. Just an L-shaped counter with an island. A nice mid-sized gig for me. The e-mail specifically asked me for my "best price." I quote the gig and e-mailed my proposal. The reply asked if that was indeed my best price. I e-mailed back, and added $ 500.00 and said: "you were right, that wasn't my best price...this is."

I mean, who's got time for bullshit?

I haven't heard back yet.

The West side of the property where I live, has a row of cedars and it is jam-packed with all kinds of excitable birds. Before dawn, the little suckers start their day early with a sound some would call a racket. To me it is music. The other morning, for fun, I decided to do a Fonzy and yelled: "COOL IT!!" out of the window. For a few seconds, it was dead silence..then a little muttering, then a full-fledged crescendo which sounded a lot like "ahhh go screw yourself" I then turned toward Angela and said: "you know they're heckling me??" Poor thing had to be resuscitated, she almost passed out from laughter... it took her a good 10 minutes before she could tell me that I had looked quite serious when I said that.

When you start off a day like that, there just isn't time for hagglers. Fukkum.

I have NO idea what just made write this.. but it is time for a bourbon and a cigar.... skip the cigar.. too dangerous.

Robatoy

I'll have a Negra Modela if you got some chips and queso to go with it.

Reply to
NuWaveDave

I have never had one (or six) of those, I have heard some really good things about it. NO idea if I can even get that here. Off to Google I go...*S*

Reply to
Robatoy

SNIP

Why do the do that? Obviously you don't know these folks, or they would shoot you over a drawing and ask you how much it will run. So some nitwit puts on their schoolmarm dress and half glasses and says, "now Bobby, I want your best work here. Don't bother to turn in something that isn't your best."

What is worse to me is that most of those using that approach simply do not have the gonads to use language I understand: "hey, this thing is completely price driven. Gimme your lowest shot upfront because that's the one I will most likely take".

But to be talked down to by having some idiot tell you they want your best price, it grinds on me. Just say it.... I want it as cheap as possible! It isn't that hard. Why do they think you would give them a crappy price? Do they think you have that much time to waste? It is galling to get those, especially from someone that doesn't have anymore interest of investment in you doing the work than just faxing over a drawing.

my best price.

Thinking what... that you intentionally gave them a bad price (knowing that client speak of questioning "best price" means they think you are too high) and wasted your time to do it?

best price...this is."

Alright, you got me there. No coffee on the monitor, but almost. I have done a lot of things, when negotiating, but never that. As Daffy says, "It is to laugh".

ALTHOUGH..... Don't you be one bit surprised if you DO hear from them, because having made *sure* that you gave them your best price, they will be moved at your additional efforts. Ya think?

Why you would seperate two old friends like that, I don't know. I don't get to it too much anymore, but I do love the combination. I don't know how strong I can be though, as this opened up less than two miles from my house:

about reasonable prices.... and on the way home, too. And a smoking parlour with leather chairs and great smoke eaters.... BYOB (bring your own bourbon!). I'm not made of stone...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

A buyer of one of my houses called me last night and wanted some "built-in bookshelves with the quality of work I have in my kitchen" (which Leon and I did).

My response: "Are you sure?"

Ha!

Upshot was that I told him I would send my trim carpenter over there this morning, but if he was really serious about what he originally said, to get a bid from him, add a zero before the decimal point, and we'd possibly take it from there.

That's be the end of that.

Reply to
Swingman