Engineered Hardwood Floor Glue Question

From all of the reading I have done on floating floors over the internet (diy, thisoldhouse, etc) everything I came across indicated to apply the glue to the "groove" of the wood. However, in the installation manual for the wood I purchased for my floor indicates to apply the glue to the upper edge of the tongue along the whole length of the board? I assume following the manufactures directions is always best - but any thoughts on why the tongue and not groove? What is better?

Amy

Reply to
Amy L.

Could be that if you put too much adhesive in the groove, you may not be able to seat the tongue in all the way without splitting? It could happen! Tom

Reply to
tom

By putting the glue in the groove, you will have a good joint and less likelihood of oozing glue out when you put them together.

Putting glue on the top of the tongue will also give you a good joint, but also a better seal from spills.

I put down Mannington a couple of years ago. IIRC, it was glue the groove.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's really easier to simply paint the tongue, then it is the grove. Just remember that more glue is not better! I also wouldn't think that the glue should be considered a "sealant". When you're done wipe it clean and wax per manufacturers specs (only for warranty)

Reply to
HMFIC-1369