Enco gloat

Just got in my latest buy from Enc. Nice halogen swing arm lamp, marked down from $64 to $20. This along with the free shipping is an excellent buy.

Lot better quality than I expected and nice looking as well. Heck the halogen bulb costs almost as much as the lamp.

Not affiliated, just passing along a good deal.

Chris

Chris

the light fixture that scorched by dining room ceiling...

Reply to
george

George, I sure as heck hope not. Than again maybe that is why they are on sale. It does say cheaply made in China, although better than you would imagine. It actually holds its position when you movement. For how long it does this is another question. Oh ya, it is 31 days. One day longer than Encos return policy.

Brings up the question, in this day of cheap imports, who is liable when something like this happens? Are you going to sue a Chinese manufacture? Good luck.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'd suggest, if you're going to sue anyone over that amount of money, that you sue Enco. They're not a Chinese company, or, if they are, they're a U.S. arm subject to our tort litigation (a good reason to feel sorry for anyone except tort lawyers).

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie,

Not referring to suing over the price of the light. I am talking about the damages. Say it caught fire and burnt the house down, and God forbid someone got hurt.

Now that I think about it, is there a UL listing on this lamp.

Running out to check.......................

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yep there is a UL listing, but listed is spelt "lested" . Should I be concerned?

Just kidding.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

They are American. Enco was the Harbor Freight of the 80s. Cheap imports from, then, Taiwan and Poland. They had stores around and may still but the one here (Seattle) closed long ago. Harbor Freight has since moved in to take there place.

manufacture?

Reply to
CW

UL listing doesn't necessarily mean its safe. Some serious pieces of crap are UL listed.

Reply to
CW

I agree 100% not what it use to be. Better than nothing though. As a youngster we had a UL listed dishwasher burn down our house.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You've really got to interpret WHAT is UL listed. If it is on the cord, then the cord is UL listed...not in whatever application it happens to be used in (i.e., you can put a UL listed lampcord on your 3hp tablesaw). It used to be that manufacturers submitted entire products to UL for listing. Now it is more likely that the manufacturer or distributor purchased a UL listed component for use in their product.

On the dishwasher subject, I had a US made (major manufacturer) dishwasher switch assembly MELT in normal operation. I am an electrical engineer and disassembled my dishwasher and went to purchase a replacement switch...found out I couldn't buy the switch, they only sold a "control assembly" for $200. I took the switch into work and took digital photographs of it and emailed the manufacturer and included a digital photo and said something in my email to the effect of: "I am an electrical engineer and the mode selection switch MELTED in my dishwasher. I brought it into work and have it sitting on the top of my partition. It seems to be attracting a lot of concerned attention from our engineers who seem worried that it might be from one of OUR products. It is quite the conversation piece. See attached photo." At that point, I'd already replaced the dishwasher with a totally different brand. But it was nice to get $100 from the manufacturer for the switch to help defray the cost of the new dishwasher.

George

Reply to
george