Electrical connection from ceiling

Time to get serious.

Looked at the Oliver site.

Your machine is equipped with a 7-1/2HP, single phase motor and 38 FLA is quite reasonable.

You want to hard wire this piece of equipment, forget plug and receptacle.

You want a dedicated circuit coming from the panel.

If it was my shop, I'd invest in a magnetic motor starter for a 7-1/2HP motor complete with low voltage (120V) control.

Wiring in from an overhead drop is NBD, that's why SealTite was invented.

You need an industrial electrician, not some residential type contractor.

It's a piece of cake if you know what you're doing.

It will cost a few $, but then again, so did the planer.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I looked, too... :)

It has integral controls including motor start and emergency stop/reset. Undoubtedly for a unit this size they are magnetic.

Other than that, can't disagree a bit... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I'll take a look at this option and talk to the electrician about. It's looking like it's a good thing they're making me go through him. He does commercial and is the guy that's been wiring up the entire building. he and his partner.

The machine has, what looks like, a standard magnetic starter embedded inside it. I did some poking around when it was delivered. I emailed Oliver to ask them what it's for, but haven't heard back yet. On your (and dpb's) advice, I'm going to email or call them about recommendations for wiring and connecting this to service.

The guy, Harold, is a commercial guy, so I'm just going to do whatever he recommends.

...and the jointer...and the DC...and the DC duct work!!!

Thanks Lew.

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Mike Dembroge wrote: ...

I looked at the owners manual and I'm convinced it _is_ a standard starter and is internally wired to the control panel (p 5 iirc). You (or the electrician) make field connections to the feed side of it and you're all set to go.

--

Reply to
dpb

As in No Big Deal

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, I figured that out *after* I hit "Send"...doh!

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Well, it's all done and working fine now. I spoke with the electrician and he told me what to get. I ran the EMT and wires and he hooked everything up. It's hard-wired, so I'll have to use the circuit-breaker to shut off the power, but the panel box is within view of the machine and it's not like a table saw where you're putting your hands inside too often. Plus, there is a safety switch attached to the hood, so when it's opened up, no power.

The run is almost exactly 100', so it took a bit of wire. All 6ga with the ground being 10ga. Liquiflex from the overhead box to the machine and it's all working fine. I'm going to bolt a piece of EMT to the planer along the cord for 4-5 feet and tie the liquiflex to it for protection.

The electrician was really cool and did this on his lunch break for me. he also let me use his company tubing bender each night, so I gave him $200 and lunch for his time and help.

Thanks to everyone for the help (Lew & dpb). I appreciate it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge