Dust Collector Nightmare HELP!!!

I am striking that old collection system I was talking about this week. I shall inspect the inside of the metal spiral ductwork. I still suspect it is not as smoothand leakproof as pvc.

Duct mastic is a whole lot less expensive then caulk and installs much faster. Just brush it on.

Now you have me curious. What duct has a gore l>>>Mark & Juanita wrote:

Reply to
Jim Behning

... snip

... snip

I don't have a link, I bought mine locally (in Tucson) from a manufacturer who actually makes the stuff. FWIW:

Metal Manufacturing Company

4795 South Julian Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85714 (520) 748-1117

I also got my elbows and y's from them as well.

The lining is a blueish tint and seems reasonably smooth as well as serving as a seal for the seams.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
Jim Behning

Not to butt in here, but is there some reason you don't use HVAC tape to seal those "leaky standard sheet metal" pipes? Pretty common product used to, well, seal metal HVAC pipes... ;-)

I use it for just this purpose. An aluminized adhesive tape that withstands all extremes of heat and cold. I keep several rolls of it around, as it's useful for all sorts of things. Sits right next to the duct tape, which curiously enough, is not as useful for ductwork.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I'm familiar with mastic sealant, but the last reference I saw in this thread was M&J's reference to blue lined pipe at some exorbitant price. Maybe I missed a few messages in between... :-\

You wouldn't happen to be removing this DC from a place in Austell? I snagged a bunch of leftover plywood from a cabinet shop there when they closed up a few years ago. Mostly used for shop jigs and such.

Helping might be an interesting experience - who gets the DC? ;-) What part of town are you/is this in and when are you removing it? BYODM? (Bring Your Own Dust Mask) ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Downtown Atlanta. I looked at some of the smaller duct and the spiral duct is a lot smoother than I expected. In other words I was wrong about the stuff being leaky and rough.

I don't what I will do with it. It is a Torrit with at least 4 dust bags but may have more bags. I just forget how many. It also uses two

55 gall>Jim Behn>
Reply to
Jim Behning

??? Exhorbitant price? I never mentioned what I paid for the pipe. However, just to set the record straight: 4" was $10.13 per 10 foot section, 5" was $9.16 per 10 foot section. 5" was cheaper because I bought

10 of them and only two 4" pipes. I thought those were pretty reasonable prices.
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

LMAO. OK, it was a brain spasm. I read messages every couple of days, when I have time - and after 150 or so, they all start to run together. I saw some mention in some thread - my memory not being what it used to be - for pipe at prices that seemed excessive. Your price quotes seem reasonable enough.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

The spiral duct I've seen is fairly smooth, and the joints are fitted better than the knocked down, snap-lok sheet metal pipes generally seen. The only downside is that it is more expensive, probably mostly due to increased shipping costs.

Sounds a bit large for my needs... ;-) My "shop" is only 9 feet tall. There's a guy who owns a print/sign shop that might be interested in it, but he is soooo cheap. He currently blows the stuff out into the back lot with several large blowers and I believe the Fire Marshal is on his case about it.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Where did you buy your pipe? Sounds like a good price to me. Thanks

Reply to
jack

A place called Metal Manufacturing Co in Tucson:

Metal Manufacturing Company

4795 South Julian Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85714 (520) 748-1117

They fabricate your order to order, so the best way to get a good price is order all of your material at once -- if you forget something, the subsequent costs for a small number of pieces is much higher.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I'm a mechanical engineer and being doing alot of calculations on compressible and noncompressible fluid systems for the last 27 years and I can tell you that you did not read enough, AND, you are heading down the wrong path..

Figuring a dust collection system is trial an error if you have not picked out your blower.

First, you want the stuff moving in those pipe at 4000 feet per minute. Pick your longest run and hopefully the piece of equipment that has the most load. Calculate all the pressure drops through the system, including hoods, entrance losses and losses through the filters. For larger shop tools, 800 cfm is a good figure to use for flow rate and 500 cfm for smaller tools. 3" pipe will give you about

16,000 fpm for the 800cfm and 500cfm will yield 5/8ths of that. It will sound like a jet running.

You better go get some help before you make a real costly mistake.

Reply to
Big John