Dust collection filter vibrators for cleaning?

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake or impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter pleats?

Reply to
trs80

Doesn't the Jet cannister dust collection systems have a handle that you can turn that knocks the dust out of the filters? I have seen this done in a shop.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

yes. but I dont have that. I would like to add a vibrator that I could put on a timer to shake the filter twice a day or so.

Reply to
trs80

Reply to
trs80

Not that I know of. Like the other poster stated there are drum types where you rotate a handle to dislodge the caked dust to the bottom. Some caking in the pleats actually helps the filtering effect so you need not be too concerned. What is very important is locating leaks in your DC system.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

(snip) I would like to add a vibrator that I could put on a timer to shake the filter twice a day or so.

Therein lies the answer to the question........;) --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

trs80, wrote the following at or about 4/11/2007 12:52 PM:

Assuming that you do have the cartridge type filter without the internal flapper, it shouldn't be all that hard to replicate the flapper system found on the Jet/Dust Dog filters.

As for automating it? Why bother? You're making a major project out of something that should only be done once in a great while anyways. Consider also that if you automate the process, you should probably include a circuit that will prevent it from cycling while the DC is powered up (Surely won't knock anything loose when it's running). Then too you will be cleaning it far more times than is probably necessary and I suspect you can count on a short-lived filter canister.

Study what the Jet/Dust Dog uses to clean it and see if you can replicate it and then leave well enough alone.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I find that when shaking/knocking the canister doesn't work enough, I use a small hand-broom (think old-fashioned curling broom) to knock off the dust. Works great, dirt cheap, will never break/clog.

-- Dekker

Dekker

Mount an old ROS to the filter and plug the sander into a christmas tree light timer. The ROS works for me but I have not automated it as of yet.

Reply to
Redd

Such vibrators do exist, but I have not seen one, only heard of them. A close friend was a maintenance electrician at the TXI Cement plant in TX where huge dust collection required shaking that couldn't be done manually. He spoke of vibratory shakers. Also, I have used vibrators of the type concrete people use to work out "holidays" during the pour. Lots of other options in vibrators. Easiest thing to make with an eccrentic cam. I am always open to finding ways to save time with automation if possible, as things get crazy during rush jobs and I don't have time to mess with maintenance until afterwards.

Reply to
woodstuff

Yes...but NOT on smaller(cheap) DC systems. THe larger commercial units do have a feature to keep the filters clear. I doubt you would want to pay for that feature.

trs80 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
trs80

Of course.

Usually pneumatically operated, quite common on bag houses used in cement plants, coal fired utilities, etc.

Requires some rather large scale to be economically viable.

As for a small home shop system, a broom handle comes to mind.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or hit the garage sales and flea markets for one of the massagers that you strapped onto your wrist. Then you could hook it up to a "Clapper".

Mark

Markem

hoseclamp this to the bag support and put it on a timer.

Scott Lurndal

Need a vibrator?

Lee Michaels

Looks like this is a session link. Search for Grainger item 3M564.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Reply to
trs80

Lew I spent most of my life with a large road construction firm. The bag house on the asphalt plants use reverse air flow to clean the bags. Close off one section at a time and puff some are thru with a fan. 600 bags 8 feet long 8 inch diamater. how is that for a dust collector. Virgle

Reply to
Virgle

THIS is interesting ... looks like I could substitute it for my Reeves drive pulley.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit