drilling a 28 inch deep hole

I have a piece of weathered heart pine that I want to make a lamp out of, it has three forks that come down to a common trunk.

I welded a 3/8" spade bit to a 30" rod and set up an angle iron guide to rest the drill in.

Even though I missed my exit mark a little, it turned out nicely.

Drilling consisted of running drill with one hand and holding drill stem with other to prevent it whipping around, and pulling entire bit out after every inch or so of drilling.

You can see the results here.

basilisk

Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Not being a welder, I wouldn't have readily access to angle iron as a guide= . I would have used a 1/2" galvanized *pipe, if the bit fit inside.

*Might be easier to rig a jig for holding the wood and pipe in best alignme= nt, but you likely know more about that metal bracing aspect than I.

Pine roots are nice. If you ever find an ER cedar root, you'll love it. I= have several and they look nice just by themselves. I'll have to dig to f= ind them, but will show some pics when I can. I once was a nut for driftwo= od root scavenging.

The Morganza floodway, drainage for the Miss. R. near New Roads, LA., has t= ons of all sorts of great driftwood finds, all washing down from half or mo= re of the USA. I used to go collect truck loads and sell them to the flori= sts.... weekend jaunts, good quick extra money when in college.... and some= times beyond college, too.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

I'm still thinking about what to use for a base, maybe something smooth and finished, maybe a disk of ER cedar.

A couple of 1x4 screwed together would have worked as well. I used the angle just to rest the drill motor on, the bit ran free except for steadying it by hand.

I think what drift I had was more attributable to the spade bit than alignment. I considered buying a length of drill stem and grinding brad point tip on it and would have if I had been working on something irreplaceable.

I actually have a lot of Cedar stumps, logs etc, I have one large stump that I would like to trim all the roots to the same lenght and use it upside down for a pedestal/support for a glass top table.

Nice resource, it's amazing how naturally beautiful some of this stuff is. Most(all) of the rustic things I have made over the years, I give away, If anyone comes around and says they like it, they have to leave with it. I had some chairs made of poplar poles and a friend of mine kept after me wanting some like them, I just give them to him. More room for other stuff.

Reply to
basilisk

You want to try drilling 12 feet through inaccessible 2X10 floor joists to pull power cable through. I put a 2 1/8 inch forstner bit on the end of a piece of 1/2 inch water pipe, 4 feet long - then just kept adding lengths as It went in. Had a hex drive welded to a reducing nipple to drive the whole thing with 1/2 inch drill. When I got through to the end, where I had a hole in the floor to install the circuit access box, I took off the forstner, tied on a pull string, and dragged it out with the pipe. Then tied the bundle of cables to the pull string and dragged it all in.

Reply to
clare

I remember you posting about that job, I'm glad it worked out, there is always a way to do what needs to be done.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk