Drill Press Fence

I have recently purchased a Ryobi 10" Drill Press and I realize some of you don't like their products but it fit my budget but I still like some advice. I was wondering it anyone knows of a place to purchase a fence for it or where plans to make one might be available. I have a couple of ideas including using MDF to make one what do you think?

Reply to
asmurff

IMHO your best bet is to build one. You might as well build an oversized table while you are at it. Do a Google Image search for drill press tables and fences and you will find lots of examples. That is what I did before I built my expandable table and fence. I'll post pics over at abpw, if you are interested.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

MDF would probably be fine, but I'll second the advice to build a larger table. I built mine out of a couple thicknesses of melamine- coated particleboard, with replaceable center inserts so I can toss them when they get drilled up. I find the larger table very helpful. I made a nice fence with cam levers for the t-tracks also, but I find that I use a simple board clamped to the table more often - just something to keep your workpiece aligned and to keep it from spinning. I often leave one end of the board clamped as a pivot, and just move the other end as needed. Sorry - it's really not as complicated as it sounds. If you don't want to build one, or if time is more important than money, there are a few commercial ones available - one inexpensive option is from MLCS:

luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Not familiar with the unit in question, but in general, the drill presses available all seem to be designed for metal work - table small with lots of ways to afix a part to the table. Start by making a bigger, bolt on table. If you include two paralell "T-Tracks" in the table, you can attach things to it easily - like a fence for example. Skip the MDF fence idea and head for a hardware store. Buy a 2 foot piece of aluminim L stock. Drill a hole in the long leg of the L to lock one end down to the T-Track. With the L fence 90s to the T-Track, mark where it is over the other T-Track. Drill a hole on either side of that point and file out the waste between them. What you are doing is making a pivoting fence that can be locked down once you've got it where you need it. Lee Valley, Rockler etc. sell all the parts.

You don't need a tall fence on a drill press, just something you can register a part against for drilling at a specific point. A tall fence will get in the way when you're drilling close to the fence, especially with a small, short bit.

Have fun with the new toy - er - tool.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb
2x4 and a couple of clamps always did it for me. Don't overcomplicate. All it has to do is lay there.
Reply to
CW

2 c-clamps and a straight board.
Reply to
Leon

asmurff wrote: | I have recently purchased a Ryobi 10" Drill Press and I realize | some of you don't like their products but it fit my budget but I | still like some advice. I was wondering it anyone knows of a place | to purchase a fence for it or where plans to make one might be | available. I have a couple of ideas including using MDF to make one | what do you think?

I have a small benchtop Ryobi DP and built a quick and dirty table and fence for it. The fence is a 2' length of fir 2x4 that can be used either horizontally or vertically.

Link to photos below.

Morris Dovey