Drawer slide recommendation ?

It's the 21st Century anway--put in a couple of terabytes of RAID and you've got them all online and viewable from anywhere.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I can't afford to keep up with every new advance. The only reason I'm even doing the conversions is that optical storage lasts longer.

And I don't like viewing/listening on my computer, and no, I can't connect my computer to my TV nor would I if I could. All new toys are not progress, just a way to part us from our cash.

And for the obligatory WW reference, the previous statement applies to tools just as well as it does to electronics.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:12:14 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

I just picked up a 64GB thumb drive today for $23.99, delivered.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Run the numbers. A Blu-Ray disk gives you 25 gig for 8 bucks. That's 320 bucks a terabyte.

Terabyte drives go for 85 bucks.

So if you're being cheap the RAID is the way to go.

So don't view on your computer. Geez, a WDTV is under a hundred bucks. The computer doesn't even have to be on the same continent.

However why use an expensive inconvenient tool when a cheap convenient one is available?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Han

Precicely what I am talking about. Now a smart company would make a player similar to a stand alone BlueRay or DVD player to access it, or add that feature.

64GB for $23.99

As Fluffy would say. Daaaum

Reply to
Leon

Western Digital WDTV and WDTV Live, Viewsonic VMP70, ASUS O!Play, Brite-View Cinematube and Cinemacube, Popcorn Hour, SageTV HD Theater, Dvico TVIX, XBox

360, and Playstation come to mind. I'm sure that that list is not complete. Prices range from about 65 bucks for the entry-level Cinematube (not recommended--it's their first generation and it shows) to around 500 for a special edition xbox. There are several good options for 120 bucks or less.

All provide other features. If your intended primary use is to play back content stored on a thumb drive, research carefully. Note that BestBuy stocks the WDTV and WDTV Live so you should be able to try your card in one before you buy.

I understand that some TVs, DVD, and Blu-Ray players can also play video off of USB media.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:12:17 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

Drives are fallible. I have owned only one hard drive which has outlasted a computer without failure. DVDs last a bit longer and you can make several copies to ensure your data longevity. Floppies and hard drives are magnetic and subject to erasure and degradation over time which laser discs are not.

I spent the money ($159 1998 dollars) on an executive chair (vs. $40 on a cheapie) and it was worth every penny. It has 5" thick cushions, a tall back, and it's pneumatically height adjustable. It still looks new after a decade and I can spend all day in it comfortably (with eye, food, drink, and undrink breaks.) Spending a couple hours in it for a movies isn't a problem...even less so with the new 23" monitor and the old boombox (as amp) and good floor speakers hooked up to the computer. It rocks, but not as well as my surround sound system in the living room with the 25" tube type TV set. (A set which, I understand, may be illegal to operate soon, given O's new regime)

See above. Price works out about the same over longer times.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 21 Nov 2009 12:52:11 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

eBay, and I used my PayPal account for it.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OK, that's a start. You have no more details?

And, of course, does it work?

Reply to
Han

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:48:31 -0500, "J. Clarke"

And in my case, my Yamaha stereo has a USB in port. Even a 4 gig USB drive gives over a week with several thousand MP3 songs and it will play for a week without repeating anything. $6.99. Can't ask for more than that.

Music *I* like and nothing else. No commercials, no stoned disk jockeys, just music.

Reply to
upscale

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 07:19:29 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Yeah, my first 20MB hard drive cost over $300. I much prefer today's prices.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Heck, our first 10MB drive was about $10K iirc...surplussed

--

Reply to
dpb

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:27:52 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Home or vehicular system? As for "can't ask for more", sure I could. I'd like that for _no_ cost, please. ;)

and
on the web are relatively free from distractions and cost.

aMEN to that! The only reason I miss Dish at all is because of the commercial-free music stations I used to listen to.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks for the info. I was totally unaware that the units existed for that purpose.

Reply to
Leon

Home system, RXV-3800. Second highest end model available. Sure, I could go for higher a end model, but this one does all that I want. Can't ask for much more.

Reply to
upscale

On 21 Nov 2009 15:18:38 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

Go to

, search for "64GB flash drive", filter viewing of the results by "Buy it Now" and "Lowest price + shipping". You'll find at least 4 vendors selling them for $30 or less.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks, when it arrives from halfway around the world.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

FiOS has commercial-free music channels.

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks! I placed an order too.

Reply to
Han

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:19:28 -0600, the infamous dpb scrawled the following:

Ooh, it sounds like you started well before me. I was a late bloomer, coming around in 1988ish.