drawer slide adjustment

Do you have any idea what the working time of this stuff is? They say it takes a week to cure. I have an epoxy that takes 2 weeks to cure. But the working time is only 80 minutes.

=============

i've heard of people moving things glued using hxtal for a couple of days at least. you have to clamp or have it sit still for almost the entire week, as it can creep until it sets. here's what the faq on it says

"HXTAL sets slowly - at 75°F, it requires about one week to achieve most of the final bond strength, (see Physical Properties Sheet). However, ordinarily HXTAL is set sufficiently after 24 hours to hold the two parts together as long as no stress is applied to the glue joint."

regards, charlie

charlie

I'm coming in real late on this one, but I think it's important to stress what Swing is saying here, but from a different angle.

My first glueups were as stressed as what Adrian is describing. I suspect most experience that "time is running out" syndrome, and the added pressure almost ensures that something will be forgotten.

Because of that, anything that could go wrong needs to be anticipated long before the glue lays down. Although it's a royal pain in the ass, I do a lot of dry fits. That's probably to my detriment, as each dry fit is going to loosen the joints slightly but I'll take that hit if I can do one dry fit and have it run flawlessly. Including measuring the diagonals.

Then, when I do my final wet assembly, that one gawdammed thing that didn't show up in dry fits rears its ugly head. Happens each time, and if it didn't I'd think something was way off. However, all of the other smaller problems are dealt with and I can still do it inside the glue's open time.

The key is to not be surprised by much. That's why the dry fits work for me.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

I'm a little late on this but...... look at the slides very carfully. there is a tab on the end of the slides at the back of the cabinet. look at both side by side. Is one bent differently? I ran into this not too long ago. everything was square and should have fit but one drawer stuck out on the left and one stuck out on the right. I screwed around with this crap for 2 days and finally took the slides out and compared them. sure enough the tab at the back on one side of each set of slides was bent! bent the offending tabs, put em back in and all was right with the world. was it because of made in china or damaged in shipping? dunno but it was a simple thing just not obvious.

skeez

Reply to
skeez