Drafting table design point

You know there is something that those of us that used to draw, recognizes in other draftsmen. Hand writing. It is still very easy to spot an old draftsman by his hand writing. I always get a smile when I start a conversation with the question, Do you still draw.

Reply to
Leon

I put myself thru slinging lead.

Spent a lot of time bent over the layout table.

Had a callus on my right hand middle finger from holding those drafting pencils.

Since printing was the standard on drawings, got to the point where I forgot how to form script letters because I didn't write anything anymore, I printed it.

Today, I type.

Time moves on.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

LOL... My hand writing was terrible untill I started lettering sheets and drawing in school. Magically my script hand writing transformed into a rather "Girly" looking style. My printing was emaculate.

Today...If I try I can do pretty good.

Reply to
Leon

I have been off the group for a few days. Tell me more about a "drawing board cover".

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

I have looked at hinges that ratchet a numerous angles. I may look at something like that in order to provide more then one work angle.

SteveP.

I am working on a table that folds down off the wall. The rear of the table has dowels riding in a dadoe and a pair of staggered legs that fold down at the front. When it is out of the way only 4" of my shop is lost.

The only thing this drafting newbie has not figured out yet is:

is there a good/better/best angle of inclination at which to work.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Drawing board covers are a multi-layer vinyl material with "self healing" qualities - they will recover nicely from compass holes and small cuts. However, I would not recommend extensive cutting as this will soon damage the cover and the cut marks will affect drawing.

I believe Alvin makes one and you should be able to pick it up at most engineering/drafting supply stores (if any still exist). I have been doing all of my drafting on a computer for the last 15 years and haven't had the occasion to got to a supply store in that time. But then again, there's always the internet.

HTH Bill

Reply to
remove

Thanks. I should probably look into these as I design the table.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Borco.