Good book for learning Drafting?

I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self learning.

I have now bought my 2nd book from Amazon.com, and it isn't what I am looking for. One book was a high school level text book, and most of it is just complete the missing lines type of homework exercises, which I don't find challenging (three chapters on drawing squares, rectangles, triangles, and circles.) The other book spends (my estimate) 70% teaching CAD commands and computer techniques. I don't want instructions on how to use AutoCAD, Sketchup, TurboCAD, etc, as that will come later.

I want to develop the skills to sketch a woodworking project. I am thinking there must be somewhere a trade (or college) level text book on drafting that assumes I know how to draw a 90, 45, 60 degree angles, and I know the difference between a circle and a triangle. But will teach me to sketch in 3-D, so all the parts can be assembled on paper before I start to cut wood.

I know how to read a 'blueprint' and know how to take measurements from a drawing. What I have difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a drawing that someone else can use.

Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in as a junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

TIA, Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

The text book I used in engineering school was titled "Engineering Drawing" by French and Vierck published by McGraw-Hill. It was the bible of its day and I believe will provide the information you are seeking.It was published before the computer, so the techniques are parallel rules, compasses and triangles, however the fundamental knowledge is still valid. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

The ninth edition (1960) is available from the used book sellers at amazon.com.

Search for Engineering Drawing Ninth Edition

John

Reply to
John

If you want a good book to teach "3D" drawing (manual drawing, not on a computer), then I recommend "Basic Perspective Drawing - A Visual Approach". I have the 3rd edition. The author is John Montague, ISBN 0-471-29231-1. I purchased it used, so I do not know if it is still in print or not. This book is not geared towards blueprints, it is solely directed towards thinking in 3D and applying that to drawing. If you want to improve your 3D drawing ability, this is a good choice. The title says basic, but I feel it is thorough.

Stephen R.

Reply to
S R

Mon, Oct 1, 2007, 11:44am snipped-for-privacy@not-want-spam.net (Phil-In-Mich.) doth lament: I am looking for a book that teaches drafting for home study / self learning. But will teach me to sketch in 3-D, so all the parts can be assembled on paper before I start to cut wood. What I have difficulty doing is converting my rough notes into a drawing that someone else can use. Last time I took a drafting class was over 40 years ago for one year in as a junior in high school. Forgot a lot over the years.

Go to your local library, and/or used bookstore. Look at what the book says before you buy one.

Only time I took a drafting class was over 50 years, high school sophmore shop class. The teacher told us how to do it, showed a few examples, then didn't pass us on that until we handed in a suitable paper - including 3-D, perspectives, all that good stuff. Took some longer than others, but we all passed. No prob. I could still do it, if I had a drafting table, and a few basic drafting tools. Most of that stuff I just do in my head now, maybe a rough sketch or two at times, more often write down measurements. If I was gonna sell plans, then I'd draft 'em out, quality master copies, then make copies - on an Xerox machine, or go to Kinkos. All I'd need would be one good copy of each plan. Sraight edge, architect scale, good pencil, good eraser, flat surface, decent paper, that's about all needed, really.

J T

Good choice Phil. Learn the basics and the CAD programs will me a bit more intuitive. I see you are looking for 3D. 3D and Isometric are similar but for the most part in hand drawing 3D is mostly "art" IMHO. I suggest looking to learn Isometric drawing. With 3D you have perspectives and diminishing points of view. With Isometric drawings the far end will look as tall as the close end of an object. Easier to dimension IMHO and easier to draw details. The

3D is really much easier to do with a computer doing all the work.

Reply to
Leon

Three-view drawings are still the best for visualizing dimension, proportion and joinery. Cabinetmaking and Millwork, an ancient woodworking text by Feirer, has good stuff in it.

Guess that shows my age.

Reply to
George

{snip}

Joe and John:

Yes, I did find the Amazon links for used books you recommended. Price seem right, so I just may try for the 1960, or 1963 edition.

Thanks for the leads.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Stephen: I found that book at my local library web page catalog. I may look that one up. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I want to try the Engineering Drawing book Joe and John recommended 1st. Although the Leon's suggestion on Isometric has me intrigued.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Leon:

Ah, I had to look that one up. Isometric, eh?? I need to look more into that. Let me see what Joe and John's recommendation has to say on the subject. Thanks Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

George:

Just to let you know, at Amazon the hard cover book by Feirer 1970 edition is going for $39.95 The 1989 edition of that book (used) has an asking price of $128.34 $128.34????????? Ah, do you, or anyone, think the 1989 edition THAT much improved? Think I will take JT's advise and check this book to be in a local library.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Mon, Oct 1, 2007, 10:49pm snipped-for-privacy@not-want-spam.net (Phil-In-Mich.) doth sayeth: Just to let you know, at Amazon the hard cover book by Feirer 1970 edition is going for $39.95

Quickie check:

J T

RE: Subject

Engineering Drawing, Eigth Edition, 1953,

French & Vierck

Library of Congress Catalog Card 52-13455

All I can say is I survived my college drafting, and went on to put myself thru school with money earned on the drafting board.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mine was the 70. I see the 89 has a different cover, but no, I'd go for the cheaper. Information's maybe updated, but the 70 book had Delta pictures from the 40's in it.

Reply to
George

3D is what the draftsman uses to display a drawing to the client that needs a lot of help visualizing. Isometric is in a format that all those involved in the development, drawing, and manufacturing will use if they need more than a 3 view drawing. Isometric drawings are drawn with a T-square and a 30-60-90 degree triangle with lots of parallel lines. No other angles are used for a square or rectangular object. With 3D there are in infinite number of angles with very very few parallel lines except for those that are perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Actually any decent drafting book will cover Isometric drawing.
Reply to
Leon

... snip

The book, "Engineering Design Graphics" by James H Earle was what we used in our college drafting course. Good coverage of design concepts and isometric drawing. Library of Congress Catalog No. 76-2931 (Can't find an ISBN)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

"snip

Check to see what book your local junior college uses and buy a used one.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes