"door" panels

You could get a miter saw (the box type with the handsaw) for under $30. Glue it up, and maybe put some of those corrugated staples on the back of it for a little extra stability.

That's probably what I'll be doing when I have to do the same thing in the near future (assuming another, better, idea doesn't show up here! :-) )

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

Hi All,

I need to make several "door" panels for access ports to the attic. Basically, I need a 1x4 routed frame with a plywood insert.

What's the best fasteners/method to join boards with a 45 degree miter? I can't afford a biscuit joiner for this tiny amount of work.

Sure appreciate any suggestions.

Reply to
D. McDaniels

why not just glue (with a few brads until the glue dries) the 1x4s to

3/4 (23/32) plywood. The plywood will be on the attic side so edging isn't necessary. or: half lap miter spline the miter joint

The way mine are done is the casing is nailed to the framing of the port overhanging the hole by about 1/2 inch all the way around. The plywood then just sits on the overhang. To get up there you just push the plywood up into the attic and out of the way.

Reply to
RayV

Reply to
BobS

Bob,

Any chance you have a link to a picture or illustration showing this? I'm being a bit of a dummy this morning -- can't quite wrap my haed around it.

David

Reply to
D. McDaniels

I to was looking at biscuit joiners and decided to go cheap and found that cheap fitted my purpose better that the biscuit joiner.

I found that I could cut biscuit on my router and router table, using a slot cutter bit. Using the router for corners is actually easier because you do you can firmly place the piece on the table and get very accurate slots. Using two fences one behind locating the slot and the other in front (45"s)to prevent the piece from flying out, you can cut the slots faster than with a jointer.

You can get the slot cutter and biscuits at Lee Valley

less about 30

D. McDaniels wrote:d

Reply to
keith_nuttle

Mitered joints are bit trickier to make than other types of corner joints. You could use a spline where the slots are made with a table saw. For safety, make a jig that holds the piece securely in place during the cut. The spline should be cut such that the grain crosses the miter. If the edges of the panels will not be seen you could use wood screws near the corners, although that's not my personal choice.

Reply to
Phisherman