Don't have clamps big enough...

Has anyone actually used these? I am a bit concerned about how "non-marring" they really are, since the plywood won't allow much sanding.

Thanks

Reply to
toller

just use a couple short bar clamps to hold a strip of 1/4" masonite or something along the top and bottom edges of the table end where you will use the clamps. This would keep the clamping parts off the table surface. I haven't actually used these types of clamps, though, but remembered them and they seemed like what you need. Igor's heads up about the PS version seems a cost-effective approach.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

When I had it done for my glorious $2.99 HF 1/2" pipe clamps, it was a local single business, cheaper than any borg or other single business, both cutting and threading was done on the same machine for free. Only the cost of the pipe.

Reply to
AAvK

I haven't used them either. I was just saying that if that type of clamp that Mike mentioned was of interest to you then PS sells one like it for less.

Here is another possible approach from PS for edge pressure, even though it is not the application they show. If you have bar clamps that can reach past the breadboard ends ...

's also much less expensive. My sense is that you might not be able to generate quite as much edge clamping pressure, but for the breadboard end how much force does one need? Anyway, it would seem to help you meet your marring concerns -- it would be the pads on your bar clamps (and their pressure) that would dictate. Then again, maybe this bar clamp approach could create more marring (dents) since you would need to tighten the bar clamps to grab onto the table top and bottom while the specially-designed edge clamps use a cam. I don't know. BTW, I haven't used these either -- yet. I did buy a set of 4 some time back when they had a clamp sale and I was close to the $100 free shipping deal they were offering. HTH. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Reply to
Robatoy

I just read a lot of responses waiting for somebody to suggest that :-). Thanks, Joe.

BTW, that's called a "spanish windlass".

And another suggestion is band clamps.

In both cases, a scrap piece to protect the ends is a good idea.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yeah, nothing like coming up with a good solution, then watching that good solution beat the hell out of your table top spinning at about a bajillion rpm ;-)

Not that thats ever happened to me.....

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C.

trucker's tiedowns with a ratchet tightener

Reply to
Charles Spitzer