does cocobolo change color?

I bought a pallet of cocobolo scraps. Some of it looks just like rosewood, but most of it is rather orange. I thought it was just normal variation until I found a piece that was orange on one side and brown on the other. I have some kingwood that was purple to start with, but browned up some after I used it; presumably the cocobolo is doing the same?

I got about 150 pounds for $50. About a quarter went to firewood immediately and the rest will probably be reduced by half when I trim it to useable pieces, but still gives me a huge amount of wood for little projects. Now I just need some little projects.

Reply to
Toller

It all darkens. Lovely stuff when it's fresh cut, though isn't it?

Poison ivy's cheaper and has the same effect on your lungs.

It's all usable down to the smallest chip.

Reply to
Father Haskell

It all darkens. Lovely stuff when it's fresh cut, though isn't it?

Poison ivy's cheaper and has the same effect on your lungs.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Cocobolo is a rosewood, but if you got 150 lb. for $50 I have to wonder if what you have is really Dalbergia retusa. A quick test is to take a piece and throw it in water, if it sinks it may be cocobolo.

Reply to
jeremy

The key word is it May sink. Several woods will sink.

Reply to
Leon

Cocobolo darkens _a_lot_ with age.

Got a lathe?

Reply to
Doug Miller

When fresh, some of it does have an orangy color. Some of it has a deep purple color. Much of it has very light to white sap wood. Typically the wood is darker burgandy ro dark red with dark grain. Over time Cocobolo will darken like many woods. I made a coffee table some 25 years ago with Cocobolo on the top, Padauk fo for the legs and skirt and Walnut for accent. I'll post a picture on a.b.p.w.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal either way. In Houston the stuff in very random S2S sizes usually goes for more than $10 per BF. The dust is an irritant, makes my sinuses run lake a river during direct exposure but for me a wipe down with a damp cloth immediately cures the problem.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry, if it sinks, it MAY be Cocobolo, Several woods will sink.

Reply to
Leon

In Houston the stuff in

If you can get it at $10/BF I will buy everything you can find. I import wood from Central and South America and Columbian cocobolo is $6/bf in country.

JJ

Reply to
jeremy

It does sink, but gently.

Reply to
Toller

Again the key word here, "More" than $10 per BF. IIRC it is closer to $14.

Reply to
Leon

cocobolo has the most distinct grain with bold grain lines in multiple colors. I don't think there is another wood that shows this as much. kingwood does but it is far more money so that's not an issue. as otters said it does change color but some can be pretty light to begin with and stay lighter then others pieces. I had some that was almost white when I cut it then turned a light orange with age (not the sapwood either) I have had some that was Dar purple with all black lines.

Reply to
Steve knight

I put the useless scraps in barrel and left them outside. The sides exposed to the sun have turned brown, while the undersides and parts shielded are still orange. Change is fast and dramatic.

Reply to
Toller

If it passes the witch dunking test, polish a sample up to 600 grit. If it looks like it was rubbed with 20 coats of Watco, it's probably coke.

Reply to
Father Haskell

"Leon" wrote in news:Zq7Ph.3248$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

Natalie Wood for example.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Very hard, very waxy. The coke crosscut sled runners I made five years ago haven't shown any wear.

Reply to
Father Haskell

What in the world are "coke" runners?

Reply to
Leon

3/8 x 3/4" cocobolo strips.
Reply to
Father Haskell

Oh,,,, Wouldn't that be Coco strips? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It should head for the bottom with purpose. What is happening is that the CITES restrictions have encouraged the loggers to market less well known species, often using common names, or mislabeling deliberately. Sometimes the wood is actually more workable and prettier than the species it is claimed to be, and often difficult to identify without leaves or bark. JJ

Reply to
jeremy