Do Any Air Compressors Have This Feature?

I can get a blue-tooth speaker in my bathroom fan.

I can get a thermostat that I can talk to.

I can get a table saw that refuses to cut off my finger.

Can I get an air compressor that warns me before it starts up?

I'm up on the ladder, sneaking my probe into a ceiling junction box and the damn compressor starts up. Really?

How about a little beep-beep-beep or a tone or better yet "Hi, this is your air compressor. Is it OK if I start up?"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, but a Tide Pod is good to clean your underwear. Add a little bleach too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All air compressors have this feature. It's called the on-off switch. If you want your compressor to start up, turn it on. If you don't want it to start up, turn it off.

Reply to
Just Wondering

work·a·round /?w?rk??round/ noun - a method for overcoming a limitation in a system.

A workaround is not the same thing as a feature.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I suspect it only starts up when the pressure drops...Find the leak in the hose or the compressor and your issue should be no longer (unless I am missing something of course)

Reply to
bnwelch

Yep, that's usually why they start.

Yep, my PC nail guns do appear to slowly let some air leak.

Nope, but even if it isn't a leak, even if it starts up through normal usage (nail guns, tire filling, blowing out a line, etc.) it would still be nice to have a quiet warning instead of 0 dB to 80 dB in a split second.

(I'm not seriously asking for this feature, just saying that it would be nice.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why not just turn it off if it might be a problem? :-)

Reply to
gray_wolf

Already suggested. Read my earlier response.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

For you, a 115dB horn will sound 3 seconds before start up. That will give you plenty of warning!

In all seriousness, if you buy a compressor that uses oil it's a LOT quieter. When it starts it's more like an furnace coming on in the same room, noticable but not shocking.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Direct drive NON oiled compressor?

Reply to
Leon

Reminds me of a clock radio I used to have. I thought it would be great to wake up to the sound of nice music instead of an air raid siren, so I got a clock radio.

The only problem is, the switch that turned the speaker on was super loud. Nothing you'd really be bothered with during the day when you're awake and aware, but in the AM, when you're sound asleep with no other sounds going on, it was like, "CLICK!!"

So yeah, the soft music was nice after being jarred awake by the equivalent of someone clapping their hands together as hard as they could, a foot from your ear. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I keep seeing references to how loud oilless compressor are. The one I got at Sears a few years back is no noisier than the one with oil I worked with on my then job.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Friend had just got married, wife moved in with her alarm clock. My friend has been working paving for a number of years, her clock goes off for the first time, bang he is up and standing, yep a back up alarm sound.

Reply to
Markem

It would help if you had the specs for both machines to compare. Maybe you you had a noisy oil unit or you have a quiet oil-less one.

My 6 gallon PC portable oil-less is spec'd at 82 dB. My cell phone app (uncalibrated) clocks it at 80 dB.

This 6.3 gallon oil-lubed unit is spec'd at 30 dB. Of course, at $3.4K it better be quiet. It better drive itself to the job site also. ;-)

DerbyDad03

I use my smart phone with a pleasing melody and ascending volume. I can set the volume to go from 0 to 100% in as short as 5 seconds or as long as 30 minutes. Mine is set at 1 minute. When it goes off, 3/4 of the screen is a Snooze button, less than 1/4 is the Dismiss button. I've never hit Dismiss on accident.

If I want to, I can set a puzzle e.g. math problem(s) or password entry(s) that must be solved in order turn off the alarm. The idea is to wake the brain up so you don't go back to sleep. I have no need for that.

I know people that put the alarm clock on the other side of the room so they have to get up to turn it off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My brothers gave me an Accutron watch for graduation. Nice watch, during the day. At night you could hear the tuning fork across the room. If it was set down directly on a table or dresser, it turned the wood into a sound board. At one point my (then new) SWMBO banished the thing from the bedroom.

Reply to
krw

+1

When I was younger, I'd always wake up seconds before the alarm went off so I ended up not using an alarm clock for years. I use the smartphone app now.

Reply to
krw

[about an air compressor]

Best alarm I ever had was a time-switch to a television: tube-type, it slowly warmed up and played the musical lead-in to a kiddie's show every morning. Marnie Nixon singing 'Boomerang' was my morning wake-up call.

It's possible to rewire the pressure-switch into a time-delay relay, paralleled with a doorbell. So, it'd start with Westminster chimes, followed by a motor-and-valves normal roar. 'Twould be a fine

Reply to
whit3rd

BOOM ... problem solved!

Reply to
Spalted Walt

I used to set my clock ahead by some random number of minutes in an attempt to wake myself up by causing stress over not knowing what the real time was.

But man, you'd be surprised at how good the barely-conscious brain is at math at 6 am. Or was it 5:47 am?

Reply to
-MIKE-