DIY - Lathe Based 10" Disk Sander

Greetings,

Building segmented vessels has produced the need for yet another tool.

Using a 1/4" sheet of plate glass and PSA sandpaper works - but eats up a lot of time and energy, and the results aren't _quite_ perfect. The tiny segment edges tend to round over very slightly - even using a supporting jig/fence. I'm not certain if it's the sandpaper deforming slightly under pressure or the wood tilting slightly on successive strokes, but it was there nevertheless.

I looked at available Disk Sanders and their predictably poor Chinese construction, and built this instead. Not particularly difficult to build, but using a piece of perfectly flat plywood scrap is important.

you need to know to replicate this idea is contained in the photos. No, we don't use no steenkin plans... ;-) Total cost was about $25.00, excluding the PSA sanding disks. The majority of the cost was the extra 6" faceplate.

Pundits may notice that the platform height is a little low, but I have reasons for this. There are other jigs, with both single and compound angles, that ride on this table.

The wooden sanding disk is held to a trued 6" faceplate by imbedded T-nuts and machine screws from the back. I don't trust wood screws enough to do otherwise. The T-nuts were then covered with a thin layer of epoxy/filler and lathed smooth. I placed an outer rim of hot glue around the disk/flange junction so that subsequent disassembly and reassembly would result in proper alignment. The glue doesn't stick to the cast iron.

Although I used a geared protractor to tune the platform to _exactly_

90 degrees to the face of the sanding disk, if you simply flip the opposite ring half over, they will mate perfectly even if your angles are off slightly.

As always, use common sense using this or any other power tool. Shoving a piece of wood into the rising rear edge of the disk is liable to result in it flying across the room. Keep a firm hold on your stock and don't press too hard. Either way, I've not had a problem with insufficient power or the lathe slipping when sanding much of anything, much less small segments. It does produce massive amounts of dust, however. A DIY dust hood is in order.

Does in seconds what was taking _many_ minutes otherwise. The nicest thing about this setup is that the speed is variable, rather than being stuck at 1750 or 3600 RPM.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Very nice, Greg. Any chance you'd put up pics of the jigs too?

hylourgos

Seems like alot of fuss.

I got a steel disk, 10" in diameter, at an auction with a box of PSA sandpaper for $5. It is intended to go on a table saw or RAS, but works fine on the lathe.

Reply to
Toller

Yeah, 15 minutes of time is a real bother.

Good for you - but I didn't. I would have had to wait a week on a mail order shipment and still make a mounting. Last time I checked, my lathe didn't have a 5/8" arbor.

And you still need the platform.

:-p

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Sat, Dec 24, 2005, 4:53pm snipped-for-privacy@electron.com (Greg=A0G.) doth get it: built this instead. Not particularly difficult to build, No, we don't use no steenkin plans...

And, it probably works better than anthing you could buy. An added plus, if you need to make any future changes to it, you probably won't hesitate to modify it. I find it more fun solving problems like that. The rest of you guys, pay attention to Gred once in a while. LOL

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Well, when I figure out who Gred is, I'll be sure and listen to what he has to offer. ;-)

Thanks, JOAT, and have a Merry Christmas - or whatever politically correct holiday you chose to celebrate. ;-)

As for me, I'm spending most of it in the shop piddling around.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Sun, Dec 25, 2005, 11:53am snipped-for-privacy@electron.com (Greg=A0G.) doth sendeth greetings: Thanks, JOAT, and have a Merry Christmas - or whatever politically correct holiday you chose to celebrate. ;-)

No prob. I'm willing to celebrate any holiday that comes along. Have a Merry, and say hi to Gred for me.